• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 Octane in Renix Engine, if anyone cares

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
A lot of you have probably already done this but for anyone who is unsure about putting high octane gas into your jeep. I did it and my engine idles at a higher rpm but much smoother. Before you could hear the valves/pistons and everything. I though it might help to clean out some carbon and stuff. This is my first and probably only tank of 92 Octane, but my engine seems to like it a lot at all rpms/gears. I have 180,300 miles on my 1990.

More than likely it isn't the octane doing it. Higher octane / more expensive fuel tends to have more cleaning additives.

Thats the reason I put it in, cause of the cleaners in it. But it is running better on it. Acceleration seems to be slower though, but it could just be that I usually gauge acceleration by the amount of noise coming from the engine. 87 Octane=lots of noise 92 Octane= less noise

Let us know how your MPG improves, if any. I've heard that the more octane, the faster the fuel burns, thus, less MPG. BTW, don't all grades of gas have these cleaner additives? I'm not trying to " harsh your mellow" but gas is gas IMHP.

Hello,
One other thing you might consider (especially because you're running @180k miles) is to put a can of seafoam into the tank every so often....

Hope that helps,
Walter

I add the Lucas fuel treatment about every other tank as per the instructions and I get great mileage, better idle. I add it to low grade fuel, my 90 hates the higher octane and tends to run too rich.

higher octane burns slower not faster. higher octane requires more energy, for example a hotter plug, stronger ignition system,and or high compression, to get the "optimum bang". knocks and pings go away when high octane is used because it ignites slower as opposed to a lower octane which would ignite faster causing detonation knocking pre ignition and the such

It's possible that higher octane fuel will work better in a Renix engine because it has a knock sensor that retards ignition. For that reason you will not usually hear a Renix knock even it's carboned up and running with crappy fuel, but you may be paying a price in reduced performance when it backs the timing off.

I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????

I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????

You are joking right...?

This is seafoam: http://www.seafoamsales.com/

SeaFoam.jpg

Let us know how your MPG improves, if any. I've heard that the more octane, the faster the fuel burns, thus, less MPG. BTW, don't all grades of gas have these cleaner additives? I'm not trying to " harsh your mellow" but gas is gas IMHP.

You've got it reversed. Higher octane = more resistant to combustion, which is why high-compression engines use high-octane fuels - because it reduces or eliminates preignition due to compression.

Compression heats up air - that's how Diesels work. That's why Diesels don't run well on gasoline - it burns too quickly (even AvGas or racing fuel, with an "octane" number in excess of 100, or equivalent to 100% pure octane.) Diesel fuel is closer to kerosene than gasoline (jet fuel is also close to kerosene - in fact, I recall it being closer to kero in properties than Diesel.)

Gas isn't quite gas - it's a complex blend of hydrocarbons, with proportions varying according to the final AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number.

As far as cleaning? Acetone is already added as a cleaning agent to fuel, so I just dump in two ounce of acetone per ten gallons of fuel (about a four-ounce bottle to the tankful) every two months or so to break anything up that's accumulated. It's certainly cheaper than running higher octane than needed.

Oh - if you track it carefully, expect you fuel economy to go down slightly - you tend to require higher compression to take advantage of higher-octane fuel.

I find it easier - and cheaper! - to just add acetone at intervals. I won't buy a vehicle that "requires" high-octane fuel, either. If I want one, I'll build it...

oh lord...

Nominated

:roflmao::roflmao:
Oh wait, you're serious aren't you?! :hang:

This had me spitting Monster it was so funny!

Seriously, even if you aren't joking... that's the most hilarious post I've seen here!

"foam it up" HAHA... great quote... Sigged!

Back