• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to go long arms...on a budget

KentuckyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright just bought this jeep a few weeks ago, and just got some tax money to throw around...well im getting ready to go pull a new d-30 to do some beefing up on and locking it and while im at it id like to upgrade to long arms....

im at about 5.5-6 inches of lift with short arms and no drop brackets, needless to say its a rough ride. but its just my beater so its not a big deal...
IMG_0303.jpg

anyway all i need is the arms them self and not a whole lift kit...anybody have an idea of a cheep kit? i stay mostly on pretty light trails and in the mud

would like to stick in the $500-$600 range....too much more and ill build my own

thanks for the help

Budget = build your own the right/correct way. You can rob the joints from your current short arms if they are in good shape and that will save you some cash.
Or do what Ba-Riedo mentioned and pick up some DBs and call it good for the light-wheeling and mud running.

if its just a beater, get drop brackets. if ur serious about it, step up and get some long arms that will probably cost more then u want to spend

not a big fan of drop brackets. even if theyre well designed they just seem like bootyfab stuff. plus whats the point in lifting a jeep only to lower parts back to original height?

i just got my RK 3-link from a pirate4x4 vendor for 530 shipped to my door.

pretty straight forward install, and BEEFY stuff

im wanting to go long arms to get some more flex, i like the trails more then i do the mud....

building my own isnt a problem but i would need something to build off of...dimensions and such

IMG_0294.jpg

It looks like the first thing you need to do if fix that steering. :scared:

Aside from that, if you won't use DBs, what style of suspension are you aiming for?

yea ive got plans for that also....DB's arent out of view yet, its a possibility if i cant find what i want

i would like to have something like the RK 3 link or like how RE does thiers...i can get all the rod ends i need just need something to build off of

It looks like the first thing you need to do if fix that steering...

And then some tires, maybe...

Seriously, though, I'm another vote for drop brackets. Great ride, great flex, super cheap.

And it does appear you have other things to spend money on, first... :D

Robert

it looks alot better covered in mud :laugh3:

it looks alot better covered in mud :laugh3:
watch it :D

she's pretty rough but hey for what i have in i...i couldnt be happier

the reason im wanting to stay in the $500-$600 range is beacsue i want to buy a steering setup and some new LTB's

who else makes the drop brackets?

big time :roflmao:....i think my stockish 98 flexed more lol

i may end up going drop brackets RE upper adj arms RE track bar and bracket and some kind of high steer setup :dunno:

who else makes the drop brackets?

RE and RC are the popular ones, I think RockKrawler has some similar.

They're really all about the same, I see no reason at all to spend more than the $200 RCs.

I will vouch for the RE track bar you mentioned. My old skyjacker gave me nothing but trouble from day one. My RE XD has been a night-n-day improvement.

Good luck!

Robert

Last edited:
Wow...I'd prolly replace what's broke and what's worn out...the front will only flex so much but wit the rear flexing like that making the front better isn't going to make it go much further...

I say DBs new leafs and LTBs!

How about protection and recovery(bumpers,sliders,skids,and diff covers)

Back