• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint removal...any suggestions???

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
Im a total noob at u joints and i found out the rear u joint nearest to the transfer case is on its way out. It was lots of slop and play. I can move it with my hand. I realize the one closest to the axle has a strap with bolts that make it easy to remove, so is it a P.I.T.A to do the one without the strap? any write ups or tips?? thanks again!

Julio

You should get a service manual of some flavor. You'll use if for other items also.

Harbor Freight sells a press that can be used on U-Joints and I find it easier to use for those tough ones than using a socket and hammer.

You should get a service manual of some flavor. You'll use if for other items also.

Harbor Freight sells a press that can be used on U-Joints and I find it easier to use for those tough ones than using a socket and hammer.

got a link? the nearest Harbor freight is like 25 mins from me.

thanks!

Are you working on a double cardain (CV) shaft or a single cardain (slip yoke style).

I would leave the double cardain to a DS shop until you get some wrench time and/or watch someone do one.

The single cardain is easy, they are both easy to me but thats what I do for a living.

Are you working on a double cardain (CV) shaft or a single cardain (slip yoke style).

I would leave the double cardain to a DS shop until you get some wrench time and/or watch someone do one.

The single cardain is easy, they are both easy to me but thats what I do for a living.

double... i am by no means a noob to wrenching. just never worked on a jeep. Most of the stuff i have worked on has been toyotas (fwd) and Honda civics. Looked at some vids on you tube and looks pretty straight forward. I definately dont want to take it to a shop when i know i can do it myself. Just looking for some pointers is all. :)

Back