• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building custom dash

89cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
This is a project jeep that has undergone many changes since I bought it. Manual to auto transmission swap, AWshifting push button shifting installed, 3.5 inch lift, skyjacker shocks, 31x11.50 TSL swampers, new radiator, truck bed liner sprayed on entire floor after ripping carpet out... etc. You get the picture.

We have aquired so many extra gauges/switches that we decided to rip out the old dash and make a custom one that will accommodate everything. The dash will be made out of wood, treated, sealed, then painted with bed liner, then mounted to hinges that allow the dash to swing up for easy access to all of the wiring on the gauges, switches, etc...

Just got all of the previous dash and ventilation ripped out and mounted the hinges. Had to raise them a little with some wood behind the hinges to make them level.

I'll be adding pictures as each stage is completed.

The bare dash:
jeep1.jpg

One side of the hinges installed:
jeep2-1.jpg

The back side of the hinge with nylock locking nuts:
jeep3.jpg

interesting, untill he said he was gonna bedliner over it =\

well, it's either bedliner or just a regular black paint. final decision isn't made yet.

a dash made out of wood you say......

interesting.

and yes, I'm sure I'm gonna get torn up on this forum for making my dash out of wood. hahaha, and rightfully so I guess. Using really dense wood. I mostly have wood cutting tools so it was easier for me to work with. If it doesn't work so well, I can always go get some sheets of metal and do it that way. Just thought I'd try it first.

Last edited:
Bedliner? Sand and finish would look 100x better.

haha, well maybe I won't bed liner it. It was just an initial idea. I guess a smooth finish on the dash would look a lot better after all. Edited. Thanks for the critique.

Wood doesnt belong in a offroad rig(or even a DD other than a speaker box).There are alot of easy "other than metal" solutions(fiberglass/carbon fiber).

dude if you did it with nice wood and finished it... it would be sharp. I say go for it, the only reason anyone says not to is because no one does it. Keep us updated man.

I think the wood would be a cool idea as long as you keep it looking retro through the entire jeep... Personally i would do fiberglass mainly because it is a lot lighter.

In order to get a piece of carbon fiber or fiberglass the size we need it will be $200+ easily. We got the dense piece of wood for under $30. If I could afford the fiberglass, I would probably go that route, but unfortunately college is sucking all my money away. haha

dude if you did it with nice wood and finished it... it would be sharp. I say go for it, the only reason anyone says not to is because no one does it. Keep us updated man.

Thanks man, appreciate it. I'm going this route no matter what right now because I already have all the materials. If I take my time, it will turn out nice.

In order to get a piece of carbon fiber or fiberglass the size we need it will be $200+ easily. We got the dense piece of wood for under $30. If I could afford the fiberglass, I would probably go that route, but unfortunately college is sucking all my money away. haha/QUOTE]
You dont buy it,you make it!

I'm not understanding the flaming on this one. . . I think it's a great idea. He's using the tools he has available and using materials that are available and easy to work with. Not everyone has the monetary means to use the best or most trendy materials out there. I, for one, am excited to see how this turns out.

I hope it does go down hill really fast... and up hills and around turns and through the mud and through the woods...

haha, shows you how much I know about fiberglass!

yo dude - prove us old naxja'ers wrong! i guess i am anti bed liner because with a dash you want it smooth - the texture of bedliner might be 2 rough... anyways like i said post up as many pics as possible and make it happen!

i think using aftermarket gauges would look sweet inset in a good woodgrain finish... or would that be too conversion van-ish?

yo dude - prove us old naxja'ers wrong! i guess i am anti bed liner because with a dash you want it smooth - the texture of bedliner might be 2 rough... anyways like i said post up as many pics as possible and make it happen!

i think using aftermarket gauges would look sweet inset in a good woodgrain finish... or would that be too conversion van-ish?

Ahh, not out to prove any points or anything. Just wanted to document what I was attempting to do and share it with everyone at the same time. I guess we'll see what happens from here...

dont let these naxja guys steal your thunder kid, do your thing. I might suggest visiting www.mp3car.com forums and looking at the installs/ show off your project section. No, I am not suggesting you put a PC in your jeep, there are some really talented people there sharing how they build high end automotive installs. Great for ideas.

Back