• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster muffler backwards

postalxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i had a ext shop here in town install my muffler on backwards he tells me that its OK I dont think so, My jeep sounds funny not like a flowmaster should so i called flowmaster and they said it could mess up my eng what do you all think? So I called him back and he sounded mad but the muffler even says inlet on the inlet side he said he would look at it (dam right hes going to look at it and fix it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what you think!!!:eyes:

that is not gonna mess up your engine haha you should know that its common sence! but yeah backwards would make it quieter.

You're a tool.

If its creating too much back pressure, it could mess up your engine.

Go get it fixed.

direction matters with a chambered muffler.

with a straight through baffled muffler, than it doesnt matter.

which FM?

any FM will sound different on an I6 than it will on a v8

was it welded on or bolted using u-bolt clamps?

Duh, easy fix. Turn your engine around.

You're a tool.

If its creating too much back pressure, it could mess up your engine.

Go get it fixed.
Ok I have seen plenty of my shares of backwards mufflers at my shop. your the tool here. in a serious case of back pressure yet it will harm a motor. but no not with the stock size diameter piping on a XJ and it being on there for that amount of small time. Tool.

Ok I have seen plenty of my shares of backwards mufflers at my shop. your the tool here. in a serious case of back pressure yet it will harm a motor. but no not with the stock size diameter piping on a XJ and it being on there for that amount of small time. Tool.

You sure told me! If its only on there for a small amount of time, it might not hurt!

Of course, thats why we told him to take it back and get it corrected before the small amount of time is up and it damages the engine.

Im taking it in on tues to have them fix it i just know he's going to give me the runaround <edited for language>

yea hes going to fix it or a foot up the you know what :rtm:

tool

Just switch to a honda engine, they rotate the other way so it should be ideal

You could also install a reverse rotation marine engine :laugh:

Seroiusly though, Cal is right with the backpressure thing. Chambered mufflers have fins that direct the airflow. Turn it around and those fins become pockets that would trap air causing unwanted backpressure.

Back