• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need screws and inserts that hold on my '96 grill

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me where I can find the screws and plastic backing-inserts that hold on the grill on my '96 XJ. There are 8 screws and then the backing 'squarish' plastic 'holders' that hold the grill on.

I'm not even sure what those parts are called, but anyone who's messed w/the front grill knows what I'm talking about.

Out of the 8 screws that hold the grill on, only about 3 or 4 actually allow you to tighten the screws down... the other's are stripped out. One of the screws fell out and the back is gone too. :|

Can I pick these up at my local parts house? Suggestions??

Thanks.

Our local family run hardware store has a very nice selection of fasteners that you might not expect to find at a store with house paint and plumbing supplies. I found the plastic inserts you are looking for plus door trim fasteners, trailer hitch pins, freeze plugs and much more.

I got my extras with a new grille header. The junk yard/salvage yard has them - but if you have a sample, a hardware store may be cheaper. Auto parts stores also frequently carry assortments on the racks. It takes some time to pick through all the different tiny packages.

And there is always the dealer. Me, I try salvage yards, and when picking up parts, always take or save all the hardware. Spares never seem to be around long.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

For some reason I always forget about the Hardware store... theyseem to have a lot of thse types of things. I'll take a couple parts and see if I can match them up.

Salvage yards are nearly impossible for me to get too. The only place that I know of that has a lot of wrecked XJ's... is only open during the week, and when I'm at work, and they're on the other side of the city... :\

At least I have a few target areas. Thanks all.

Back