• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 4.0 with 3.5 lift, stock brakes, SCARy in the rain

4wheelsgood

NAXJA Forum User
I mean these brakes are BAD in the rain. It takes a good 10-20 seconds on the brakes before they start to work, and even then the pedal is hard and there is little response.

I have been told that I let my front brakes get glazed when my rear brakes went out of adjustment. But I just had the rears replaced and the jeep stops ok in general - except on the rare days when it's raining here in Northern California. What have other folks done for this? Should I spend the money on drilled/slotted rotors? Do they really help?

Before you started messing with them did they work?

There are some plastic plugs on the back side of the backing plate for the rears. You have to pull out the plug to make adjustments on the rears. If you don't put the plugs back in they will get soaked when it rains out side and cuase some weird problems.

I got a set of Drilled Rotors with Pads for $60 on ebay. They did help out a bit with the stopping. The stock brakes just were crap with the bigger tires. You still won't stop on a dime, but they did make a noticeable difference. I can't remember the Ebay vendor's name, but just do a search for xj rotors and they should come up.

If the pedal is hard and there is on respnose it may be that you power booster is bad. I woulld check to see if the vacuum line is still attached. What do you mean it takes 10-20 seconds for them to start working?

x2 on the booster.

You should consider upgrade to master cylinder and vacuum booster, do a search here, also JP Magazine did an article.

Just in the rain? If it was bad pads, it would be all the time. If undersized from bigger tires, it would be all the time. If a failing power booster, it would be all the time.

But just in the rain, and 10-20 seconds to make them work? Something is wrong in a really different way.

Back