• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax 15 - 231 to 242

jasswass

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95mod with an ax15 and a 231, and want to change to a 242 tranny...(want the full time option for everyday winter conditions here in Norway).

I guess there are several options out there when it comes to number of splines... how many do I have (a little bird whistled 23?), and will I find a 242 that is bolt on on my ax15?

thanks for the help...

The AX-15 is a 23-spline output, so you'll need a later NP242 transfer case (1991-up to be safest. The NP242 was only found in OEM XJ behind the AW4, and the "spline break" happens later for the auto than for the manual by about a year.)

It's certainly a viable option - I'm planning on doing a similar mod myself, for similar reasons, unless a 23-spline D300 should present itself (I want the option for gaining an additional advantage when dealing with incompetents in what passes for winter around here, and if I should happen to be up in the mountains during snow...) I think you'll find that the full-time option is going to be more of use in wet-roads conditions than in actual snow - when the white stuff is on the ground, you're really better off in part-time, since it's a more predictable front-biased torque split that you can use to pull yourself out of a sudden slide.

Just throwing it out there. The principal reason I want the full-time option is for when it "rains" out here - it happens infrequently enough that it doesn't really wash the oil off of the pavement, and people out here - to an individual, almost - forget how to drive when the roads are wet. Makes me feel like a one-eyed man in the land of the blind...

Jon I feel ashamed for asking this, I've done a lot of research on this swap, and I have the 242 in shop to be put together for the swap, I had to find a donor 231 to get a proper 23 spline input for my year so I could do the re and re in shop, before I remove my dd's tcase. I'm still hunting for a easy, solid sye for the 242 before I swap it in. Can someone tell me in laymans terms why exactly the 242 is better in rain and slick roads, I know the technical terms but what happens at the wheels that makes it "better" in 4full time. I know theres a diff that separates the front and rear similar to a locker, can you give it to me like I'm a student Jon?

thanks...
I want the full time option for the changing conditions (snow, ice, wet asphalt all at once). Love the 50/50 part time in good winter conditions...

do anyone know more spes. what year and models I can look at?

and are the two cases the same length and mounting holes, so the only issue is to find a case with the right number of splines? (...direct bolt on if I find a 23spline 242?)

The difference lies in "part time" vice "full time" operation.

In PT4WD, the front and rear axles are locked together in, I believe, a 52/48 front-biased torque split (I've been told 50/50 - practical, but the front-biased split makes a little more sense, since it allows you to pull out of situations. I've yet to verify this.) This is also borne out by the fact that you can't run PT4WD in situations where you already have good traction for extended periods - pictures have been posted here of grenaded transfer cases from doing just that. In the absence of confirmation, I'm going to stick with the 52/48 idea - I've heard it more than the 50/50, and anecdotal evidence points that way as well.

For FT4WD, it's a differentiated base 50/50 torque split - generally even, but can bias toward either end as required for changing conditions. The 50/50 differentiated split is why you can run FT4WD with good traction with minimal ill effects (theoretically, it's a step short of AWD. Practically? If you don't need it, you really shouldn't run it - but if you think a need for it is coming up, you can shift into it before you need it. This saves you thinking about it later.)

Since rain does not impact traction as much as snow does (rain does not fill up the valleys in the tyre tread like snow will, and can be "pushed out of the way" by tread blocks separated by either properly-designed or just plain wide grooves,) the FT4WD can be run more effectively in the rain and wet because it doesn't have as much trouble with "getting a grip" as PT4WD with the locked (and biased, I'm sure) torque split. However, the "locked differential" you are referring to is going to be found in the PT4WD case, not the FT4WD case. However, the NP242 can be locked into PT4WD mode - and in both the NP231 and NP242, the "low range mode" is locked/PT4WD.

Case lengths are similar (to within a quarter-inch or so, by visual estimation,) and mounting patterns are identical. Input gear length may be different - pre-1991 NP242 are going to be 21-spline, and 23-spline after that. Find them in XJ/MJ "Limited" versions. I believe the NP242D can also be found in Dakota and F/S pickup, but I've yet to verify this as well (workin' on it!)

The NP231 is rather more common, with the NP231J being what we have. The NP231D and NP231C can be found in Chevvy and Dodge trucks (respectively,) and there is also an NP231HD variant (Heavy Duty, obviously,) and NP231DHD (Dodge Heavy Duty, I believe.) The primary differences there are the sustained torque throughput capacities - the cases are externally the same, and use the same mounting pattern (which is, in its turn, derived from the old Dana 300 case. This pattern is now standard for pretty much everyone.)

I am not sure if the NP231 input set will mate with the NP242 geartrain - but I believe Novak offers input gears for both cases, made new. I do know that there was a change to the cut of the input gears for the NP231 ca. 1994 - crossing that line by putting an "early" input gear into a "late" case (or vice versa) will see you draining much of your input gear at the first fluid change. I would think that the NP242 would be similar - I suspect the change was made to improve the pressure angle on the gear teeth (to improve longevity, I hope. I've yet to find out about that as well - I may end up going to New Jersey to sort this out.)

Did I cover everything you wanted to know?

Thanks Jon, yes that covers it for me, not wanting to hijack and all, yes the input shafts are identical on similar years tc's, the 242 I'm using for my swap is from my 87, but since it's going into my 93 eventually the spline count was wrong so I bought a spare 231 from a 92 or so and swapped the input shaft, and upon inspection they are identical. So now whenever I get the 242 together, it will be a straight swap, and I have a spare 231 with a 21 spline input for parts etc. I'm not thrilled with GoJeeps sye idea so I'm still waiting for a better option on that, however I may install it and worry about that later.

Thanks Jon, yes that covers it for me, not wanting to hijack and all, yes the input shafts are identical on similar years tc's, the 242 I'm using for my swap is from my 87, but since it's going into my 93 eventually the spline count was wrong so I bought a spare 231 from a 92 or so and swapped the input shaft, and upon inspection they are identical. So now whenever I get the 242 together, it will be a straight swap, and I have a spare 231 with a 21 spline input for parts etc. I'm not thrilled with GoJeeps sye idea so I'm still waiting for a better option on that, however I may install it and worry about that later.

The problem you're going to run into with the latter is that, as I recall, there's still no-one making a dedicated SYE kit for the NP242. So, a lot of Band-Aid and "Afro-Engineering" solutions have been put into place. I believe old_man came up with a "cheap Jeep" SYE kit for the NP231, perhaps a similar solution for the NP242 could be brought about?

I'm kind of looking into this swap myself.. good info here... One thing I'm a bit curious about that I don't see covered yet is the input shaft length...

I thought I heard once that the aw4's and ax15's had different length input shafts...possibly not true? Not really sure, I haven't been able to find any solid specifics about this....

Also, I'm curious about the 21 spline vs 23 spline split for ax15's... I have a 1990... I've heard that for manuals 89 was the split year, and 91 was the split year... anyway to tell for sure without yankin the case and counting?

I'm kind of looking into this swap myself.. good info here... One thing I'm a bit curious about that I don't see covered yet is the input shaft length...

I thought I heard once that the aw4's and ax15's had different length input shafts...possibly not true? Not really sure, I haven't been able to find any solid specifics about this....

Also, I'm curious about the 21 spline vs 23 spline split for ax15's... I have a 1990... I've heard that for manuals 89 was the split year, and 91 was the split year... anyway to tell for sure without yankin the case and counting?

All AX-15 are 23-spline output - the reason it's a "split year" in 1989 is because they switched from the Peugeot BA-10/5 (21-spline) to the AX-15 (23-spline.) The AX-4 and AX-5, IIRC, are also all 23-spline (I can't swear to any T4 or T5 boxes that were used.)

The AW4 had two different lengths of input shaft - more information should be findable at Novak Adapters (Google them, please. I don't have access to my bookmarks at present...) in their Tech Archive. I've not covered it in mine as of yet because A) I see no need to reinvent the wheel at present, and B) Novak has already done a good job of it, and I don't have enough information to do better. Yet.

my peugot recently took a dump.
so, I went to Nowak. Eric set me up with
a AX-15 - NP 242 combination.
It set me back in cash, but, I have a nice 87 MJ.
so, I bit the bullet.
It is being shipped tomorrow.
can't wait to put it in.

Too be honest, I dreaded putting in a used AX-15.
A used 242 can be rebuilt.
But, there were too many variables for me to deal with.

this combination is put together at Novak and shipped
together on a crate.

BOB

Back