• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking when braking semi hard

blysccr

NAXJA Forum User
had some a hole pull out in front of me and i hit the brakes, not super hard, but semi hard. then i heard a kind of clicking type noise. then a little later that day i wanted to see if it would still do it, so i pushed brakes semi hard, and it did that. what is it? should i be worried/get it taken care of?

thanks

it was on dry roads, i doubt abs...but maybe. i'll have to check that, it almost sounds like it's under the driver footwell if that helps. thanks guys

More than likely it's ABS brakes. My jeep doesn't have 'em, but my Crown Vic does. Find a icy area and lay down on em hard. They automatically pump the brakes so you don't lose steering. They make the pedal vibrate and grind. They are excellent for girls.

the "ears" on the brake pads the slide along the knuckle rails...............the notched side should face downward

installed upside-down they will make a click when braking

remove the front driveshaft and see if you can replicate the sound

it could also be control arm bushings

what year and how many miles????

I suppose I'm basically hijacking this thread...but I have audio of the sound. Ignore the quality of the video though...it was the only way my phone would record a sound.

When the clicking starts, that's when I apply the brakes. As the sound slows down that's as the cars speed slows down from the brakes being applied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W37-iLl2PEU

Any suggestions? The brakes are installed correctly.

Safe to assume it's a U-joint somewhere? The noise sounds like it is exclusively from the front end, and goes away with the front drive shaft out.

Last edited:
check the drive shaft u joints when one of mine was bad it would do as you descibed.

Check for side-to-side play, look for rusty dust coming from under the caps, flex the joint in all directions in your hand while listening/feeling for binding/grinding.

Back