• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Tower Bent

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have had a problem with my front driver's side coil spring catching on the bottom metal edge of the bump stop tower. This only happens at full flex, but it happens on the logging trails I ride on around here in the summer.

I just found a topic with some really bad ones...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982229&highlight=bumpstop+air

Mine aren't nearly that bad, but it is annoying and can't be good for the coils.

My questions are, what exactly is bent and how can I fix it with my very limited fab skills?

I tried replying to the topic above, but I don't have a red user name. I'm getting ready for a mild overhaul of my rig in the next week, so I would like to take care of his while I'm at it.

How do you know they're bent?

It looks like the ones in the pics on the link in my OP. My axle is centered and straight, what else could it be? The driver's side is really noticeable and hangs up on the coil spring under full flex. The passenger's side is only slightly bent and I have no problems with it.

As in the link I posted, the bump stop should be pointing more or less straight down towards the coil spring pad. Mine angles forward very close to the coil and is not perpendicular to the ground like it should be.

If you can look at the tower itself and confirm that it is bent, then it probably is.

If you are simply looking at a bowed spring, that could also be caused by axle rotation or position (front to rear).

Yup, the last 2.

The 4-link moves though an arc, and at stock height with stock arms, that arc is at it's center and the axle is the furthest away from the mounts. As you lift a jeep with the stock arms, the axle gets closer to the mounts (Arc, remember). The axle is no longer centered with the upper spring bucket and the bottom part of the spring rubs on teh snubber. If you incorporated a longer snubber, the affect is much more prononced.

Fix: Longer upper and lower control arms, OR a mounting point drop kit.
Also, use hocky pucks at the axle instead of using and extended snubber,

OK, here're some pics. The driver's side is the problem area...

Axle is pretty much centered...

SANY1373.jpg

Coil spring is straight and only 4.5" of lift. Notice how close the bump stop is to the coil spring...

SANY1374.jpg

SANY1376.jpg

Now the passenger's side...

SANY1377.jpg

SANY1379.jpg

If anyone bothered to check the link in my OP, you would notice I am having the same problem as vetteboy, just not as bad.

Yep, that's part 2. The spring is not going to be a perfect cylinder at full compression (no matter what arm configuration you have), so when it becomes "misaligned" and your bump tower stays in it's place, you can get some contact. Not a big deal, but yes, annoying.

edit: you were posting the same time I was. It looks like your arms are too short and you need to move the axle forward...

I agree with Pat. Also it looks like your drivers side coil isn't seated correctly in the coil spacer.

I agree with Pat. Also it looks like your drivers side coil isn't seated correctly in the coil spacer.

Nice observation. That would be due to the bent bumpstop tower. Seriously, check out the link I posted in post #1. He had the same issue only a lot worse.

I have been thinking the control arm mounts were bent causing the driver's side of the axle to sit farther back than the passenger's side, but I checked and re-checked and... you get the picture. After reading vetteboy's topic, I realized that was most likely my problem too. I think this happens to most lifted and wheeled XJs. Most just attribute it too improperly adjusted control arms and such.

Take the wheel off and look at it, take another picture.

It does look like the spring is closer to the shock on the drivers side.

I saw the link you posted before you even posted it. I know what the link is. Have you been jumping your Jeep? Do you have half the weight he has on there?

Your problem is that the axle is too far back. You need to move it forward. Your coil towers don't look bent.

I've had the same thing happen on mine. When I flexed, the bumpstop would hit the inner part of the coil. This was because as the short arm moved in its arc, it would bring the axle backwards, and bring the coil into contact with the tower.

I agree, you need to take off the tires so we can see the whole coil, not just the very top.

Then why would it be so bad on the driver's side and not the passenger's side? I have fixed control arms, the same on both sides. The coil springs aren't bowed and I have an adjustable track bar adjusted correctly.

I used to watch the Dukes of Hazard, but I don't try to imitate them in my Heep. I am not easy on it though, and I noticed that in the 3 years I have been running this lift, the bump stop tower has gotten closer to the inside of the coil. That means something has changed. Control arms are straight, mounts are good, track bar is tight and not broken. It just started hitting the inside of the coil spring in 2008. The previous years was noise free. I don't know what else I can say.

IF the bumpstop tower were bent, how would one go about fixing it without all the fabrication of vetteboy?

It sounds like you really want these towers to be bent. Yet you said you have limited fab skills, so doing what vette did is going to be difficult. I will echo Begster. You have not been slamming the sh!t out of these things with a 60 and 40 inch tires. Anything is possible I guess.

The tips we have given appear to provide some solutions at this point, and are certainly simpler solutions at that.

I see you guys points. I have a set of RE drop brackets and braces to put on next weekend, I'm sure this will help. My mom has a 96 GC that had to have the rear wheel bearings changed in 1997 and she doesn't abuse her Jeep at all, anything is possible. All it takes is one good hit to bend something or knock it loose.

I guess I was looking for some tried and true trick to bend it back into position without too much trouble or welding. I guess it would just weaken the sheet metal if I were to do that anyway.

The answer is simple, and you can do it for $20 if you don't already have one of these.

1. A large stout tree
2. 2x4x10'

:doh:

I'm not including the emergency room trip, or possible stay in the hospital.

My coil on the driver side looks the same as yours. I am running re 5.5 coils and superflex arms. Whenever it catches I take a BFH and smack the coil back into place. My towers are not bent-my arms are too short. Whenever money allows I plan to get some drop brackets, but it does not appear to do any damage the way it is...it is just really annoying when the coil makes alot of noise.

Back