• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock wheel centers on aftermarket rims?

I read here that you can run "Jeep" centers on Cragars.I searched. Nada.
Anyone have info? Pics:D

Many Thanks

Yep, I made them work. You will have to drill and countersink 3 very precisely centered holes in your Cragers though.

P1010639.jpg

^^That link will get you to another link that shows my write up on our local forum!

There are others who have done this, just takes some common sense and ingenuity.

I can tell you from experience that if the holes are not centered dead on the caps will bust when you tighten down the 3 screws. I had to enlarge the holes on the first wheel I did and then make another drill fixture to get the other 3 wheels right.

Thanks Guys! I'm dumb! I always forget to add the +s to my search. I got about a billion results...

Anyway, thanks, I'm shopping for some center caps ;)

^^That link will get you to another link that shows my write up on our local forum!

There are others who have done this, just takes some common sense and ingenuity.

I can tell you from experience that if the holes are not centered dead on the caps will bust when you tighten down the 3 screws. I had to enlarge the holes on the first wheel I did and then make another drill fixture to get the other 3 wheels right.

Thanks For the heads up:thumbup:

If I could get an extra cap, I think I might be able to use it to make a marking guide. Just drill it out so you could use a sharp bit to make a mark to index you drill.

Looks good although I don't think I'd want to drill into my wheels!

My (black) Soft 8's are just under a year old and are holding up great, however the center caps have rusted! I waxed them inside and out before installing them and they still rusted. Thinking about painting the centers black or silver. I do like the black wheel with chrome center cap look though.

PS nice job integrating the newer bumper endcaps on the older front clip :)

why couldnt you take the center cap and get a cardboard template same exact dia... drill the holes where the cap holes are and transfer the cardboard to the wheel... the holes will be where you want them and everything =) makes things a little easier... maybe make an even better design... draw it up on paper first, transfer it to a steel plate and drill the holes into that, then you'll have a solid template you can use for your new wheels your friends or whatever.. =) sell it maybe make some money off of it

why couldnt you take the center cap and get a cardboard template same exact dia... drill the holes where the cap holes are and transfer the cardboard to the wheel... the holes will be where you want them and everything =) makes things a little easier... maybe make an even better design... draw it up on paper first, transfer it to a steel plate and drill the holes into that, then you'll have a solid template you can use for your new wheels your friends or whatever.. =) sell it maybe make some money off of it

I made a steel drill guide that centers the hole, it just took 2 tries to get the hole perfectly centered. Check out the write up on our local forum to see the drill guide, links are above in 3rd post.

I made a steel drill guide that centers the hole, it just took 2 tries to get the hole perfectly centered. Check out the write up on our local forum to see the drill guide, links are above in 3rd post.

ahh, i see well thats cool, maybe something i'll try if i go back with black steel wheels

Looks good although I don't think I'd want to drill into my wheels!

My (black) Soft 8's are just under a year old and are holding up great, however the center caps have rusted! I waxed them inside and out before installing them and they still rusted. Thinking about painting the centers black or silver. I do like the black wheel with chrome center cap look though.

PS nice job integrating the newer bumper endcaps on the older front clip :)

Why wouldn't you want to drill a few small holes?

I think all the soft eight caps rust...

I like the look of the 97+ Bumper on the older cherokee... Thats Clean

Thanks, thats my 15 year old son's 96. We are going to paint the bumper and ens caps to match the flares and I'm building a Detours like recovery for it but using full size truck front tow hooks sticking through the lower valance just below the bumper.

This XJ will only see mild trail use, if he wants to wheel hard he can beat on my other 96 trail rig.

sooo. lol looks like i'll prolly end up with a set of soft 8's =/, my lady was like i want rims like the mickey thompsons with the circles all the way around ( the classics)... only i want them to be in black. lol so period end of story, soft 8's here i come, and um... stock wheel centers on em will be in the future as well

Our local forum is down for maintenance today so if you all are trying to link up to my write up, try again tomorrow, the mods should have it fixed by then.

Our local forum is down for maintenance today so if you all are trying to link up to my write up, try again tomorrow, the mods should have it fixed by then.

OK, well our local forum crashed during a software upgrade and all previous posts were lost soooo.........

I'll post a write up of the stock center caps on Crager Soft 8's as soon as I get a chance.

Back