• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire width vs. height

blysccr

NAXJA Forum User
i'm sticking on a 3 inch RC lift on my 2000 xj. the recommended tire size is 31 1050 15. since i have my rubi, i figured i'd stick those rims on it after i get the lift on, and i saw some 32 9 16 TSL. since they are narrower, would i experience the rubbing?

thanks

p.s. not a fan of wheel spacers.

The Rubi rims have a lot of backspacing. 5 or 5 1/2" if I remember correctly, so my guess would be that yes you would have some rubbing.

It is diffrent with every rig. You could always bumpstop and/or trim to clearance for the tires. However, if I were you, I would not run a 9 inch tire on an 8 inch rim offroad. It would be a pain to stop and set the bead alot.

well this rig will be 99.5 % on road .5% dirt road, so i'm not too worried about the bead, as long as it will be fine as a dd. i guess my main question is, how bad would the rubbing be? like tj with 33 12.5 15 on 2.5 ome lift type rubbing? (just at extremes) or will it be like, look at it funny and itll rub? thanks a lot guys

If it's a DD I wouldn't run a TSL...a 265/75/16 is a 32x10.50 and you would only maybe rub at full lock but it's no big deal just if you hear it touchin then back off the wheel...

But for a DD a 245/75/16(almost 31x10) would look and perform good...

the reason for the tsl was that from my 5 mins searching for a tire, that was the cheapest at 155 from quadratec. but i used to work at a tire place, so i can get them for cost, and i just assumed that they'd be the cheapers. so with a rubicon wheel i should just get what the lift was designed for, the 31 15.50?

I have a 2'' lift, and rubi take off wheels and 245/75/r16 MTRS which measure out to 30.5''.

Like you, it is a 99.9% street queen, and .1% "offroad."

The Rubi wheels have less backspacing then stock XJ wheels.

Granted I dont disco my sway bar, or flex more then a curb, but I have not rubbed at all. Steering stops have not been adjusted, and I have full range of motion.

I would look into an AT or even a street tire if its a true DD. Swampers are loud and hard to balance and you will be hating it after a week of driving it.

Back