• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dont kno how to go about this

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright heres the deal.. i have a rustys 3" lift which turned out to come with 3.5" spring packs and 3" coils which actually turned out to be 4" leafs and almost 3" coils...basically my jeep looks decent in the back and mildly retarded (or just really low) in the front.. i ordered up an re 3/4" coil spacer but decided not to go this route i would like to put in a set of 4.5" re coils since re's tend to be a lil off (slightly lower the stated) and id be pretty level (i think)... i already have adj lcas and my brake lines are prepared for more then the 3" lift, adj trac bar and an SS...do u think this will turn out okay?? it rides perfect right now no different from stock except some sway from having no rear swaybar and i wanna keep it this way but id also like to be in a levely lifted jeep...big question in shocks i dotn think i will need new ones since the shocks do pefect for my leafs...

a second dilemma is i kno a guy locally that has rustys 5.5" ZJ coils... hes had them installed for a lil while and with his front bumper he says heyve sagged to around 4-4.5".....should i just put these in for free or do u think 1. it wont ride right, or 2 it will revese my problem and i will be lookin at blue sky rather then tar..

thank u to any one who posts...

Coils usually don't tend to sag, his jeep has sank to about 4.5 because of the weight of the bumper, and will prob go back up if he took it off, so it would look like you had a saggy rear, and I wold recommend upper control arms as well, get rid of weak stock stuff if you went to this height (4.5 inch kits come with upper and lower for strenght). I have RE and havent noticed that the coils are off at all really.

yeah they definetly sagged. I swapped out 3.5" coils and spacers with the 5.5" rustys coils and my 33's were not fitting very well anymore. rustys makes a soft coil so the added weight of the winch and bumper will drop the coils but not down to 3.5-4". rustys coils are known to sag after a bit. theyre about 2-3 years old.

all the RE springs have seen always give you more lift that stated....

i do like the rustys springs tho. i really cant complain. They are old so they dont give as much lift as they did originally but when i ran the 3.5" coils they were pretty stiff springs. When I swapped over to the rustys coils now i barely notice any bumps in the road and i had a little DW before and the rustys coils eased up the beating my worn front end was taking. Now im swapping over to RE4.5" coils and spacers in hope that the ride will stay pretty smooth. Id recommend rustys coils to anyone wanting a nice ride.

its funny u two say that because i just read a post that says like 20 guys yeeps where unlevel all with re 3.5, 4.5 kits...not by much but notciable

i guess its w.e. u luck out on

LilRhodyXJ said:
its funny u two say that because i just read a post that says like 20 guys yeeps where unlevel all with re 3.5, 4.5 kits...not by much but notciable

i guess its w.e. u luck out on

thats because the rear comes out higher than advertised, and so does the front, the rake is on purpose.

JJacobs said:
Huh? English?
sorry i didnt kno this thread was about what terminolgy i use... last time i checked it was about springs...
but if u must kno

w.e. = whatever

its shi**y slang from AIM that i accidently used

Last edited:
alright for all u guys who keep telling me that RE's stuff is never off or lower then what they state then explain to me this thread...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97983

and also look at the posts in this thread

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97663

in that first link its all about the unlevelness of RE kits

and in the second one im pretty sure 91jeepproject states "wow thats one of the most level re 3.5 kits ive seen"

and RWD asks "was it higher on the back when u first put it in?"

also the guy who owns the jeep in link two says on page two "IT SITS 1" HIGHER IN THE REAR"

i dont want this thread to turn out to be "ur shit sucks cuz u bought rustys" or dumb stuff like that i just want to know if a 4.5 spring from RE that has been known to come up a lil' short will balance out my "a lil over 4"in the back and my barely 3" in the front" issue...so please im not trying to be confrontational i just would like to kno because my XJ looks retarded:dunce:

When I was choosing a lift I discovered that one of the reasons RE is so popular is that when RE advertised a height, you almost always get more, and when the spring settle you get the advertised height, never any less. Also RE lifts are always higher in the rear. Almost all RE lifts have a rake. It has to do with the design in in leaft springs. If you look at their TJ or YJ lifts, whichever has the all coil suspenstion, they are level.

I get the RE 4.5", and got 5" in the front and 5.5" in the rear, they settled to last time I measured after two years to 4.75" in the front and 5" in the rear. but no lower than advertised.

So yes according to that thread they end up not being level, but I have never encountered and unsatisfied RE customer due to a lift that was lower than advertised.

To tell you the truth, My RE leafs sag, noticably. I have a 4.5 kit, which comes 3.5 leaf with 1.24 shackle, and there was a nice arch in the spring when I first got them, but now they sit level. My budy who has the 3.5 leafs, without the shackle, sits higher than mine, I actually just ordered bigger leafs so the back would be high again.
RE is still better in my opinion, I have seen some Rustys stuff and they don't appear to be that strong.

Back