• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Temp. Sensor

nicetie

NAXJA Forum User
I removed the sensor in the thermostat housing on my jeep to install a temperature gauge. I have been told that the front sensor is the one that is hooked to the ECU, and that I should replace it. I am going to do that tomorrow. However, I would like to keep my gauge... Is it possible that I could put the probe for the gauge where the rear sensor is and not hurt anything?

It won't hurt anything provided that the sensor will fit. I have seen some probes that are too long to fit without modification. There are some alternative mounting schemes if that should prove to be the case.

year and what engine?

The sensor in the thermostat housing serves two purposes, one of which I believe is the coolant temperature sensor to send information to the ECU/ECM--must have. Put the original back in.

The temperature gauge sender is located on the back of the head, drivers side, single wire. Are you trying to add an aftermarket gauge or does your xj have idiot lights?

It had an idiot light. However I removed the bulb because it was constantly on after I took out the sensor. I installed an aftermarket gauge because I hate idiot lights lol.

It maybe better to change the entire instrument panel with one from a JP. You will need to change the oil pressure sendor and the water temperature sendor to work with the guages.

If you have the original motor in your 98,then you dont have the rear sensor.96 was the last year for the temp sender at the back of the head.

I would put the original sensor back in, and find a 97+ XJ that had the cluster with actual guages instead of idiot lights. Take your cluster out and put the new one in. Everything will work. Mine didnt even have a tach but as soon as I put a cluster with a tach in, it worked. If you cant find one from the junkyard you can get one off ebay for like 20 bucks. You will not have to change any of the senders or sensors, all the right ones are there.

I would put the original sensor back in, and find a 97+ XJ that had the cluster with actual guages instead of idiot lights. Take your cluster out and put the new one in. Everything will work. Mine didnt even have a tach but as soon as I put a cluster with a tach in, it worked. If you cant find one from the junkyard you can get one off ebay for like 20 bucks. You will not have to change any of the senders or sensors, all the right ones are there.

You will have to change the oil pressure sensor,but as far as i can see the temp sensor/sender is the same.

It's not the original engine, although I don't know that it makes a difference. The current engine is from a 98 Wrangler. there are a few small differences that I could tell but I don't know what else.

It's not the original engine, although I don't know that it makes a difference. The current engine is from a 98 Wrangler. there are a few small differences that I could tell but I don't know what else.

Any 97+ 4.0 won't have the sender at the back of the head.It was all incorporated to run off the one in the thermostat housing,and the gauge gets its signal from the computer.

You will have to change the oil pressure sensor,but as far as i can see the temp sensor/sender is the same.

You will NOT have to install any extra probes or sensors if you use the guage cluster with guages instead of idiot lights. I took my crappy one out, put the new one in, everything (including items that were not on the original) worked as if it had come from the factory. If you have a pre 97 XJ you will have to fiddle with that stuff but 97+ guage clusters are direct swaps

I think I saw a pic on here where someone had a sensor in the top radiator hose. The hose must've been cut and the piece that connected the two had a fitting in it.

You can order the hose splice with sensor port from jegs/summit, may get local in your town.

You will NOT have to install any extra probes or sensors if you use the guage cluster with guages instead of idiot lights. I took my crappy one out, put the new one in, everything (including items that were not on the original) worked as if it had come from the factory. If you have a pre 97 XJ you will have to fiddle with that stuff but 97+ guage clusters are direct swaps

Parts stores ive looked at carry 2 different oil senders,one for a gauge and one for a light.Thats what I was going by.I was agreeing with you that the simplest way was to change the cluster.He just MIGHT have to change the oil sender.

Last edited:
If he is changing from an idiot light to a gauge, each idiot light (on-off) sending unit needs to be replaced with a variable sending unit for a gauge.

Idiot lights and their on-off sending units are cheaper than gauges and variable sending units, that is why lower trim lines have the lights.

Back