• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Fender Flares

yamahadrummer

NAXJA Forum User
What are some good priced aftermarket fender flares for my XJ? It seems that it is kind of hard to find aftermarket flares for my year....all the ones I find are for models up to 1996. I was just wondering because on my last trip to tuttle creek, KS one of the casualties of the trip was my front right flare. I can get a replacement, or get new ones that will be better. obviously, the later is better :D
thanks!

how factoryish do you want it to look?

Bushwackers will work on '97+ XJs, you just have to cut a little of the rear bumper end cap. I believe the same goes for Rusty's fender flares.

Bushwhackers are fine on my 1998, which should be the same body and trim as yours.

Jeep_Bushwackers5.jpg

Jeep_Bushwackers6.jpg

You'll have to cut the bumper caps, the body molding and losen the two bolts that attach the bumper to the front of the fender.

I had replaced my rear bumper with a custom that was cut to accomidate the bushwhackers.

Do a search on here and look for bushwhackers 380. Someone found a place that sold the bushwhackers for $380 shipped right after I bought mine for $461!!!

You said you want a GOOD set of flares,Bushwackers are a joke!

lol, as you can see people hate the bushwhackers.

It all depends on what you want. Yeah if you're going to be bouncing off trees and rubbing against rocks, then no flares, or spend the 5 minutes necessary and take the bushwhackers off. Then go off roading.

There is no better looking fender flare for the XJ, period.

www.thor4x4.com
The best tail light set-up available for an XJ, IMO. Ask any PNW guy.

~Scott

how do you install them? you bolt them up there? I would see that you have to take out your interior to access the nuts right?

i have bushwackers on my 98 and i just had to trim the front and rear caps to go with the flow of the bushwackers. Ive hit a few trees with them and they havent cracked or broke yet. I say go with them, they give the XJ a nice look.

And like mudderoy said it takes 5min to take them, really i can take them off and clean them and have them back on in 20min. But buy some different screws then what they give you, those are crap. Go buy some machinist screws and use them, they work great.

Go buy some machinist screws and use them, they work great.

I had them on my 2000. I smacked them on a lot of rocks and stuff and never cracked one. They were scraped up but they held firm.

If you can get the nuts off your factory flare brackets, they are the perfect size to fit the BW Torx bolts they supply with the flares.

They are free!

I had bushwackers on my '98. They did take a little trimming to fit but the jeep slid on a muddy trail and cracked one side. To add insult to injury, the bushwacker is rigid enough that it caved the sheetmetal on the fender. If you go off-road, which it sounds like you do, either don't use them at all, or take them off every time. hth, dn

i just took off my bushwackers im selling them for 300 bucks!!! the cuts underneath are maybe 1" in the back and its hard to tel what the front was but it was done by a pro shop

i just took off my bushwackers im selling them for 300 bucks!!! the cuts underneath are maybe 1" in the back and its hard to tel what the front was but it was done by a pro shop

:spam:

I was thinking of using regular bolts and nuts with washers on the backside of the fenders to hold the Bushwackers on securely.

But machinist screws are better than the self tapping torx bolts they supply? I can't see how given that the fenders are so thin, there isn't really thing for the threads to "grab" on to.

I was thinking of using regular bolts and nuts with washers on the backside of the fenders to hold the Bushwackers on securely.

But machinist screws are better than the self tapping torx bolts they supply? I can't see how given that the fenders are so thin, there isn't really thing for the threads to "grab" on to.

I think part of the reason they use the bolts they use, is so the bolt will pull out before breaking the bushcracker. This wouldn't be true for all situations. My bushwackers are very secure with the standard torx bolts and rubber spacers. Actually more secure than the stock flares that were popped into place on a thin piece of metal.

Back