• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Interchangability

XJ95386

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm changing my oil, and realize the filter I have isn't the one for my jeep. It's for a toyota I used to own. I put it on and it fit. Same threads, diameter.... Toyota part is slightly taller. I drove it to the store and bought the correct one but I haven't put it on. Is this okay? I know there are parts no.s for reasons. Did I hurt anything?:farmer:

Probably not, just as long as the threads are correct and the seal mates correctly to the engine.

Of course, you must realize that now you have to post in the Toyota forum. LOL!

If it fits and you get oil pressure it's probably all right, but there may be a difference in drainback valves inside, so if your Jeep is one of the rare ones that fires right up without a lot of cranking, make sure your oil pressure rises well before you take off from a cold start. If it's a Renix one, you may have full pressure by the time it fires anyway.

IF it did/does not leak, and it is threaded properly then for the short amount of time it should be fine.

I use a Purolator Pure One PL30001 for a 5.0L ford ...same filter as the one for the 4.0L - just longer / bigger - by about 2inches.
I've been using this filter for 5 yrs now - never a problem

114231.jpg

pd

Last edited:
Do you know how much oil capacity was increased with the Purolater?

Thanks.

I use a Purolator Pure One PL30001 for a 5.0L ford ...same filter as the one for the 4.0L - just longer / bigger - by about 2inches.

114231.jpg

pd
what year is yours?

114231.jpg

pd

that is a common "mod" (i dont really think its a mod though) for many of us to do with the 4.0 HO. the mustang 5.0L filter is napa wix part #1515. its about a half quart larger capacity than our stock ones. everything is compatable inside this filter with ours (drainback valve etc), and give more filter media allowing for better flow and filtration.

there is lots of talk of using the 5.0s filter in our xjs on many of the oil, and oil filter threads. i have been using the NAPA (Wix manufactured) Gold filter #1515 in my XJ for a while now. also, my xj and my 99 ram 1500 5.9L call for the same stock filter. well, needless to say the dodge is now running the 1515 as well.

Baldwin B2... best prices are from B-Line Filter & Supply, Inc: Providing Exceptional Service Since 1973

I figure if they use them on heavy equipment, and they're a highly respected name out there (as is cummins (aka fleetgard) and Hastings and wix), it's good enough for my jeep.

Stay away from fram, and I'm not sure about wix anymore as more and more they're made in china.. tranny filter for the XJ and oil filter for the gf's Honda civic are both made by cheap labor, which probably takes zero pride in their workmanship (and therefore quality)

The Ford-style filters will work on 1991-up 4.0L, but 1987-1990 has a metric nipple on the oil filter mount, and won't accept it (RENIX is, I believe, M20-1.5, while later ones are 3/4"-16.)

No, they're not anything like compatible - so pay attention to which filter you're using...

that is a common "mod" (i dont really think its a mod though) for many of us to do with the 4.0 HO. the mustang 5.0L filter is napa wix part #1515. its about a half quart larger capacity than our stock ones. everything is compatable inside this filter with ours (drainback valve etc), and give more filter media allowing for better flow and filtration.

there is lots of talk of using the 5.0s filter in our xjs on many of the oil, and oil filter threads. i have been using the NAPA (Wix manufactured) Gold filter #1515 in my XJ for a while now. also, my xj and my 99 ram 1500 5.9L call for the same stock filter. well, needless to say the dodge is now running the 1515 as well.

Or upgrade to the NAPA 21515 to go for the gold.....I also use this filter and love it. I also run 5W40 Rotella Synthetic.

Back