• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push button ignition

blk88

NAXJA Forum User
So when I bought my XJ there was an issue with ignition. The key works about 90% of the time. The other 10% the guy had installed a push button under the dash. I'm not that eager to dive into the column and fix the issue, between the key and the button it always starts. So yesterday the button was getting sticky and hard to press so I decided to replace and relocate it.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/blk88/misc/pushbutton.jpg

The button would pass through the lighter hole so I had to put in a washer on both sides. On the face of the dash I painted the washer black so it would blend in a little better. I was impatient and nicked the paint installing it like an idiot. While it was all apart I also decided to paint the gauge bezel. It used to be gray like the steering column and the baby blue plastic color was showing through in a few places. In all...it was simple to do and I happy how it turned out.

Thats pretty sweet. I have a push button to, but thats cause the key never works. I like your placement. I have a 98 so my dash is different. mine is on the blank space to the lower right of the gauge clusters.

My ignition works fine on my XJ, but on my 64 volvo i had the same issue. I used the original cigarette lighter as the pushbutton to trigger a relay to activate the starter.

I hooked an accessory positive to one side of the relay coil, and the ground comes from where the lighter positive would usually connect.

Turn on key, push in lighter, car starts. Just don't push the lighter all the way in or the starter keeps running until you pull it.

The placement is pretty cool, but you should have modified the actual cigarette lighter to work!
biggrin.gif

Billy

I've been running mine like that for almost 2 years and I plan to do the same thing on my pre runner project, except its being mounted somewhere else

Back