• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 locker in D30!

TRAILREADYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just had to try! Here is a writeup I did on my local forum...

Here it goes… This all started when I did some work for a kid, and he threw in his old D35 Lock Right with his payment. I figured I could do one of two things with it.

I had a D30 Lock Right, but it was missing the spacers that keep the couplers aligned. Before I saw it, I was going to see if these spacers were interchangeable, they are not! This ruled out the idea of piecing together the D30 Locker.

Then I went on to plan “B”. I was just going to throw it in the rear for temporary, light throttle use. I have spare shafts, and full D35 internals, so I figured, why not? I got into tearing down the axle, and noticed I have a non c-clip D35. I didn’t think much of it, other than my spare shafts wouldn’t work. Since if it did break a shaft, it would not keep me from limping off the trail, I continued. Well, it turns out the non-c clip version has a larger carrier, and the locker won’t fit. With ideas brewing in my head, I continued to reassemble the axle. At least I have new gear oil!

Now is where it gets interesting. Looking at the two lockers, they appeared VERY similar in overall size, and are the same spline count and cut. I noticed the D35 Locker was slightly wider than the 30, but only .020” or so. I had a spare D30 Carrier lying around, so I figured what the hell… To my surprise, it fit great! The side couplers fit perfectly in the carrier, even the pin is the same diameter!

I want to mention, I only tried this because it seemed to fit (and did!), andI have a couple extra D30s laying around if something goes BOOM!

With this test fitting done, I decided to try the real thing. I tore down the front end, and installed the locker normally. Once again it fit great, and I was feeling even more confident in the results. Below is a pic of the locker installed in the D30 carrier. The only real “disadvantage” I see is that it has the cutouts for the D35 c-clips, and overall the body of the locker is slightly smaller.
DSCF2773.jpg

DSCF2775.jpg

I reassembled the front end, and did the standard spin tests to make sure it would unlock. This was the thing I was most concerned with since this locker was a little wider. Worse case, this would cause it to either not unlock, or be rough in operation. I was pleased to find it unlocked very smoothly! I put it all back together and went for a drive. Like my previous Aussie (I sold it thinking I was going a different direction), I couldn’t even tell it was there in 2wd! It just has slight clicking on slow, sharp turns, just like it is supposed to have! As I pulled back in my driveway (gravel), I engaged 4wd, and made a sharp turn. It was very apparent the locker was working, and my experiment appeared to be a success!!!

I still have to actually try it out off road (Read update below), but with everything in spec and functioning as it should, it should be just fine. I will report back once I get a chance, but with D35 lockers floating around for CHEAP, this could be a great option for those on a tight budget!

Update: Well, I had a chance to test the locker out by climbing a hill/wall at work. It's a ~2ft retaning wall with a pretty steep, muddy little hill afterwards. It worked great! I climbed up without even spinning a tire :) I also played around a bit at my neighbours land, and it worked perfectly the whole time! We will see how it holds up in the long run, but so far, so good!

I will eventually be swapping in a non-disco D30 I will be building, and will go a different route at that time. I will be running 4.88+ gearing and 35s, and I wouldn't want to risk it, the 30 alone is enough. But until then I will keep you all updated as to any problems I run into.

so, how well did the shafts engage? i'd be worried about stripping the splines right off because you mentioned the d35 having about .020 larger dia shafts. cool either way.

so, how well did the shafts engage? i'd be worried about stripping the splines right off because you mentioned the d35 having about .020 larger dia shafts. cool either way.

The D35 locker is a bit wider overall, but the shaft diameter is the same. The Spline engagement is perfect, it's just a hair tighter where the springs go. If anything this would keep it from disengaging freely, but that hasn't been any issue.

The D35 locker is a bit wider overall, but the shaft diameter is the same. The Spline engagement is perfect, it's just a hair tighter where the springs go. If anything this would keep it from disengaging freely, but that hasn't been any issue.

ah my mistake. i misread it. i thought you meant the diameter was .020 smaller. sweet, glad it's working for you :cheers:

Well, it turns out the non-c clip version has a larger carrier, and the locker won’t fit.

Not that I'm aware of, and I've put LockRights in both styles (same part number). The axles are different though, and not only because the end has a C-Clip. The bearing end is different also, so it shouldn't work as a trail spare. Non-Cs are bearing retained, so you should be able to get off the trail if you break one anyway.

Mixing and matching LockRight parts between the D30 and D35 versions seems like it was possible, I just never had enough spares of each to try it. Good Job!

Thanks all!
Not that I'm aware of, and I've put LockRights in both styles (same part number). The axles are different though, and not only because the end has a C-Clip. The bearing end is different also, so it shouldn't work as a trail spare. Non-Cs are bearing retained, so you should be able to get off the trail if you break one anyway.
I physically tried, and it didn't fit at all. There are different numbers, the 87-93 is a 2310-LR and the 93+ is a 2311S. The spider gears are a different size, and the end couplers fit very loose in the carrier. I agree the c-clip part is a non-issue, but I had the newer, smaller D35 Locker.

Mixing and matching LockRight parts between the D30 and D35 versions seems like it was possible, I just never had enough spares of each to try it. Good Job!
Actually, the mixing and matching didn't work, totally different parts, except the teeth lined up. I am using the whole D35 locker, no mixing of parts needed ;)

Nice way to be creative with what you have. I will add however the d30 lockright should be stronger than the 35. It shouldnt be a problem however as I haven't seen very many d30 lockrights fail in the past.

I will add however the d30 lockright should be stronger than the 35. It shouldnt be a problem however as I haven't seen very many d30 lockrights fail in the past.
I agree, the D30 locker body is larger than the 35's, but not by much.

I plan to get the missing parts for the D30 locker I have for the "new" axle build. I mainly just want this to last until spring/summer when I can swap the axles and regear. I also figure I'll break an axle u-joint before the locker goes since I still have stock shafts and cheap(er) joints.

Im not sure how the Aussie is different from your lock right set-up, but I was sent a D35 aussie locker by mistake, and I can assure you it wont fit in a D30. I tried, because I didnt know I had the wrong part at the time. I have the non disco 30.

Maybe I am reading your posts wrong, but like I said, an aussie 35 locker wont fit in a 30 axle.

But if it works for the lock right, so be it. Good for you!

Im not sure how the Aussie is different from your lock right set-up, but I was sent a D35 aussie locker by mistake, and I can assure you it wont fit in a D30. I tried, because I didnt know I had the wrong part at the time. I have the non disco 30.

Maybe I am reading your posts wrong, but like I said, an aussie 35 locker wont fit in a 30 axle.

But if it works for the lock right, so be it. Good for you!
Hmmm, They also have two D35 lockers, was it possibly the older version for 94 and older? It would be too big.

Will a non c-clip version work?? I'm gonna say no... sadly enough considering the deal that I can get on one... although I DO have a non c-clip dana 35, I just DO NOT want to put ANY money in it! haha.

I'm gonna send a PM too

Will a non c-clip version work?? I'm gonna say no... sadly enough considering the deal that I can get on one... although I DO have a non c-clip dana 35, I just DO NOT want to put ANY money in it! haha.

I'm gonna send a PM too
Answered your PM, but no, the non c-clip version is larger.
I agree with not putting any $$$ into a D35.

I found this thread really interesting. I found a 35 lockright for $100, the guy said it came out of a 91' with 4.10's. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks it will fit into a 30 off of an 06' with a LP D30. The 30 is geared at 3.73. I know that the 91's are HP, but that shouldn't matter should it? From what i've read, i'm kind of skeptical about it but i'd like some more opinions. I love the idea of having a locked front for $100.

I found this thread really interesting. I found a 35 lockright for $100, the guy said it came out of a 91' with 4.10's. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks it will fit into a 30 off of an 06' with a LP D30. The 30 is geared at 3.73. I know that the 91's are HP, but that shouldn't matter should it? From what i've read, i'm kind of skeptical about it but i'd like some more opinions. I love the idea of having a locked front for $100.

Why a low pinion? I'd rather put the lockright in a 35, less likely to break than a lp30 in my opinion...

But to answer your question, yes it should fit. The carrier is identical from HP to LP. I think 91 was the switch to c-clip, if not then no... sorry.

I have an 06 LJ, and I have an 87 XJ. I wanted to get this for my LJ, but if there's a chance that i'm going to ruin something, i'd rather put it in the XJ, since I have spare shafts and gears. When you say there's a better chance of it to break in a LP 30 than in a 35, what do you mean? They're all 27 spline, to my knowledge. You think i'll break some teeth off of my ring gear or pinion gear?

I have an 06 LJ, and I have an 87 XJ. I wanted to get this for my LJ, but if there's a chance that i'm going to ruin something, i'd rather put it in the XJ, since I have spare shafts and gears. When you say there's a better chance of it to break in a LP 30 than in a 35, what do you mean? They're all 27 spline, to my knowledge. You think i'll break some teeth off of my ring gear or pinion gear?

In a front axle, reverse rotation(HP) is stronger than a standard rotation LP. Yes you wold be more likely to break the R&P on a LP than on a HP.

The 91 D35 should be c-clip, but I don't think it will fit the 30. They have a different one listed for 94+, and that's the one I used. It was originally bought for a ~2000 TJ.

The year of the D30, or if it's HP or LP doesn't matter, they all use the same carrier/locker. The D35 on the other hand has had some changes along the way, and the parts are not interchangeable, so you need to make sure it's the right one.

I will add I am currently running 35s with the D35 locker in the D30, and have yet to have any issues with this setup.

Back