• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Window Replacement?

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
The rear hatch window looks like its installed the same way as the rearest side windows. Would I be able to just remove the seal with shims and patience the same way I would replace my rearest side windows?

Hope this makes since.

Yes, the rear hatch window is installed the same way as the side quarter windows - dry, with a rubber gasket. If you're really careful you should be able to get one out alive. Make sure you remove from inside out and install from outside in, because the flange of the gasket is larger and tighter on the outside. If you're not familiar with the standard technique of using rope to reinstall, you might try to do a search here, because it's been covered before.

Thanks, its starting to get cold, and since I removed the tint I removed my defroster lines, so Im blind in the morning, and its killing me having to drive with the window down to see traffic.

Ive heard of the rope technique when I read a thread on replacing the quater windows with a high density platic to keep them from shattering when wheeling or rolling.

Personally I find the best cord to use to install windows is 12 guage solid core wire. You can feed it into the channel and it will keep the shape making it a lot easier.

If your rubber gaskets are at all brittle use a lot of silicone lube to keep from slicing it (that will happen if you're not careful).

Also it's MUCH easier if you have a friend to push in on the window from the outside while you're inside pulling the cord around.

Nice, this might make it easier to tint the windows in the future. Just pop them out, layout on some egg packing material, and apply tint, then pop in once cured.

I have some large suction cups for when I goto the junk yard, so I can pull and hold it at the same time, while another pushes.

Back