• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bar Pin Eliminators

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Who makes the best BPE's? Is there anything that I should note or will have problems with while installing;I've already replaced the upper bolts in the rear that rust and break when you replace the shocks.

-N

I want to run OME Shocks and the JKS site mentions that they do not fit. Why do they not fit and will a other manufacturers BPE's work with the OME shocks?

I made my own with my old RE sway bar disconnects, worked pretty well. I used the bracket that used to be bolted to the actual sway bar, used washers and a nut to bolt it to the original location where the front shock eyelet goes through the spring pad/shock mounting plate, hope this helps, I'm cheep!

The OME shocks use a bar pin that "supports" the bushings so they do not need BPE's.

not to say that you could not use them if you wanted to, or had other reasons to, but they are not necessary with OME shocks.

HTH,
Michael

The OME shocks and JKS BPEs will work with a little coercing. Talk to Dirk at DPGOffraod.com.

I didn't really have to use the BPEs with the OME shock, but I had them so I made mine work by pounding out the OME bushing and replacing them with hourglass bushings. Like I said, I didn't need to but I got to use my BFH.

OK rear sway bar piece and BPE is not necessarily a good idea... look at your rear axle. Imagine what happens when it droops and you're leaning to one side, how the shock rotates on the mount.... if you do the sway bar piece you will change the rotation direction by 90 degrees thus causing eitehr bind or straining (flexing/bending) the shock rod or the shock itself... if you do want to fab something, angle iron works great, but it's not that convenient to R&R shocks....

Kejtar

:confused1 OK i dont get it...

I an running 5150 shocks on my Cherokee XJ 2000. I have a bar pin eliminator ("BPE")on the front upper shock mount as to convert the upper shock mount style from the what im assuming is called a "bar pin." But, reading about the BPE I have now gotten confused. My 2000 Cherokee only had one bar pin style shock stock on the front upper shock mounting area. I hear some people talking about getting BPE's for the lower front shock mounting area as well as the rear?!?

What am I not getting here? All the shocks I now have on my XJ have eyes on each end and I only had to buy one pair (2) BPE and it was to eliminate the bar pin on the front upper. Are older XJ's different? That is the only thing I can think of.

fdsa487 said:
What am I not getting here? All the shocks I now have on my XJ have eyes on each end and I only had to buy one pair (2) BPE and it was to eliminate the bar pin on the front upper. Are older XJ's different? That is the only thing I can think of.

That I know of all XJ shocks have a set of bar pins on one end. The front has a bar pin on the bottom, the rear on the top.
The other side: In the front top has a single bolt and bushing, the rear lower has a single eye.

He replaced the upper Rear shock bolts and doesn't want to mess with them again.

He could remove the pins from your current shock, make BPEs out of your rear sway bar mounts.
Remove pin from current shock, buy BPEs and bolt them on. Since his question is whose to buy, I can't help him with that one.

Last edited:
Zuki-Ron said:
That I know of all XJ shocks have a set of bar pins on one end. The front has a bar pin on the bottom, the rear on the top.
The other side: In the front top has a single bolt and bushing, the rear lower has a single eye.

He replaced the upper Rear shock bolts and doesn't want to mess with them again.

He could remove the pins from your current shock, make BPEs out of your rear sway bar mounts.
Remove pin from current shock, buy BPEs and bolt them on. Since his question is whose to buy, I can't help him with that one.

So I think I know what you guys are talking about now. I have a 'conversion' piece on the top front upper shock mount location that allows me to use a shock that has an "eye" instead of the bolt that goes though the body. So to make things easier you can get a BPE so that you can replace shocks easier, right? So really if you have the upper shock conversion piece you could buy 3 sets of BPE's for the other 3 shock mounting areas, right?

I got one set for the top of the rear, one set for the bottom of the front shocks, and shock conversions for the front upper mount. I got them from Mepco/Teraflex Plus for under $60 for all 3 sets. I have eye to eye shocks front and rear.

They fit great. No more clunking.

fdsa487 said:
So I think I know what you guys are talking about now. I have a 'conversion' piece on the top front upper shock mount location that allows me to use a shock that has an "eye" instead of the bolt that goes though the body. So to make things easier you can get a BPE so that you can replace shocks easier, right? So really if you have the upper shock conversion piece you could buy 3 sets of BPE's for the other 3 shock mounting areas, right?
Having a BPE does not change the mantance aspect. People run BPEs to run a wider selection on shocks. After all, you go to a 8" lift and you won't find that shock in a Wally World. But, you could probably find a shock for a Ford Truck that would.
On an older Jeep I had, I had to make BPEs for the top front because I ordered 4 rear shocks - DOH! Actually worked out real nice in the end though.

fdsa487 said:

I an running 5150 shocks on my Cherokee XJ 2000. I have a bar pin eliminator ("BPE")on the front upper shock mount as to convert the upper shock mount style from the what im assuming is called a "bar pin." But, reading about the BPE I have now gotten confused. My 2000 Cherokee only had one bar pin style shock stock on the front upper shock mounting area. I hear some people talking about getting BPE's for the lower front shock mounting area as well as the rear?!?

barpins are the things that go through the round bushings at the bottom of the front shocks and the top of the rear shocks. what you're thinking of as BPE's are really shock conversions or stud adapaters (depending on who you're talking to).

This is how my front 5150's are mounted, using JKS shock conversions up top, and JKS BPE's on the bottom.

100_0297.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:
barpins are the things that go through the round bushings at the bottom of the front shocks and the top of the rear shocks. what you're thinking of as BPE's are really shock conversions or stud adapaters (depending on who you're talking to).

This is how my front 5150's are mounted, using JKS shock conversions up top, and JKS BPE's on the bottom.

I see the light...:flipoff:

Homemade BPE from "U" channel . just cut and drill. ( remmeber, shock eyelets don't have to always face the same way :rolleyes:)
a3_1.JPG

img4248e669b71c8.jpg

ubracket.JPG

just something to think about. ;)

xsubarudude said:
Homemade BPE from "U" channel . just cut and drill. ( remmeber, shock eyelets don't have to always face the same way :rolleyes:)
a3_1.JPG

img4248e669b71c8.jpg

ubracket.JPG

just something to think about. ;)

i'd never use these. they rotate the end of the shock so that it does NOT pivot properly... as someone noted above.

that bottom one looks just plain funny

Back