• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine speed sensor

x4h20x

NAXJA Forum User
well i think thats what its called...so im replacing my header and currently have both manifolds off and was thinking this might be a good time to replace the engine speed sensor.how long do they last? my 92 xj has 150000 mi. id rather not have to go to the parts store right now.

well i think thats what its called...so im replacing my header and currently have both manifolds off and was thinking this might be a good time to replace the engine speed sensor.how long do they last? my 92 xj has 150000 mi. id rather not have to go to the parts store right now.

Engine Speed Sensor = Crankshaft Position Sensor.

I know the RENIX ones tend to last 150Kmiles or so (1987-1990,) but I'm not sure about the later HO ones. I do know they can be changed with the manifolds in place - it's just a bigger pain to do, as you have to sneak up past the transfer case with a long brace of extensions (or get lucky like I did - and score a 30" drive extension for ten bucks...)

yeah i did one on an 88 a few years back in the field and it was indeed a pain in my ass. almost dropped on of the bolts into the bell housing. thank GOD for magnets.

I am almost always against changing parts unless they fail testing, however, in your case, if you can afford it, I would change the sensor and keep the old one for a spare--that way when the new one fails on the trail you won't have to walk home.

Being you have a '92 (old), and these are known to fail fairly often, maybe it's a good idea to change it. If it won't start, you can always put the old one back in. But if you don't want to go to the parts store, don't.

Not to hijack a thread, but is there any preferred CPS(CKP) brand??

Back