• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search on recovery and decided that the Rustys front toe hook bracket was no good. If I want to make my first WF I'm going to have to replace it so I dont hurt anyone. Right now I have the Rock bumper from Olympic. It is made out of 3/16" steel. I'm planning on fabbing 2 D-ring mounts and weld it straight on to the bumper (like JCR's bumpers). Will this be safe? Is the thickness of the bumper good enough to hold on to a good tug? I dont know if theres any reinforcements behind where they weld the D-ring mounts. I will also add on frame ties. What do you guys think? Thanks again.

Usually the D ring mounts go through the bumper (welded on each side) and mount to the bumper mounting points as well as some of the steering box mounts. Welding just to the face of the bumper is not a good idea.

No the Olympic Rock bumper is one giant turd. It's useless even as a bumper. Hell the stock bumper would be just as good as that thing. First off the bumper only uses the 6 stock bolts. Which in itself isn't a total problem, you can just add tie in plates. The real problem is the bumper has no strength to it. It is nothing more then some c channel with some tabs welded to it for mounting points. Do yourself a favor and either get some good hook mounts or save and buy or build a real bumper.

Buy ^Marks^ stuff! Its one hell of a recovery system and if you want a bumper add one to it. I don't run a bumper myself, at least not yet, but the steel is laying in the garage to add one on with.

1-09-5.jpg

Maybe great recovery,but absolutely no protection.

im just going to go with a front mounted hitch... at most ur losing what... 4 inches and unless ur a hardcore rock crawler i dont see a big deal about 4 inches

This shows my front receiver setup, and the drawbacks of no front corner protection.

IMG_0068.jpg

Back