• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gunfest '06 Mk. II

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
As the title suggests, myself and a couple of the NWC chapter guys went out last weekend on our second shooting trip for this year. The impetus was to test out my new rifle (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92469&highlight=rifles) and also taste GI-John's latest homebrew, IXNAY's Stryker IPA. And of course get out in the woods with Jeeps and good friends...a sure-fire recipe for a good time. Here are some pics!

The weather could not have been better. Saturday was clear and crisp in the morning and never got too hot. We all expected it to be cold in the evening, but it turned out quite pleasent. Or maybe that was blood in our alcohol system.... Hmmmm.

Nice place to camp. Rough place we live in, huh?

DSC01499.jpg

First shots with the Springfield:

DSC01464.jpg

GI-John and GI-Jane. Ian was trying on all of John's gear that he does PT in...it was hard for any of us to walk around, let along run.

DSC01479.jpg

GI-Jane with his AR-15/M4, playing army.

DSC01480.jpg

John playing Rangemaster...and staying behind cover. No faith.... :rolleyes:

DSC01481.jpg

Last trip I shot my broken taillight. It seemed like a good tradition, and I had finally ripped my non-folding mirror off, so....

Finishing it off:

That did the trick:

DSC01491.jpg

Adam (adamusmc2002), our recent transferee from SoCal, and John. I'm really not sure what's going on, but you're free to guess. And post amusing captions.

DSC01493.jpg

Circling the wagons:

DSC01498.jpg

-----Matt-----

An impressive display of firepower. What a 7.62 mm rifle round does to a gallon jug of water. ****Caution: Harsh Language at the end of the video.****

As the sun went down, Adam and I went out and got some pics of the colorful sunset. Adam has a bad-ass 35mm that he took some great shots with. Hopefully he can get around to developing them and scanning them. These are with my dinky idiot-proof (well, mostly) digital camera:

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

Adam, being professional:

DSC01508.jpg

We don't screw around. :cheers:

DSC01520.jpg

That ended badly.

DSC01522.jpg

Ian said:
Ooooh...plate shiney

DSC01523.jpg

Flame broiled New Yorks. Note my hi-lift handle under pan:

DSC01525.jpg

Rrrraaaarrr!

DSC01528.jpg

Yeah. Again, not really sure what's going on.... Funny, though!

DSC01530.jpg

-----Matt-----

What you can't see is John break-dancing. Adam can't bear to watch. Alas, I didn't get any pics of the actual dancing, so you'll just have to trust me.

DSC01536.jpg

Ian preferred to chew his way through the cap instead of unscrewing it:

DSC01541.jpg

The first empty of Maker's going out in a blaze of glory. Then it exploded.

DSC01552.jpg

Playing with fire:

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

DSC01570.jpg

Camping with retards, ver. 2.0:

DSC01573.jpg

Those are all the pics of the evening festivities that are fit to print...the rest are in the Den. We woke up strangely early and set about making a fire for coffee and breakfast. Ian again showed his culinary flair yet again, and made us a killer breakfast of bacon and eggs.

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

Group poser shot:

DSC01606.jpg

Solo posing shot:

DSC01610.jpg

Colors are starting to change; this will probably be our last trip before next June, when the spot is typically accessible again after the snow's gone.

DSC01620.jpg

Another great trip guys!

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
Looks like a good time dude!

In your video when you put your rifle down and went for your side arm....you need a tactical sling for the rifle. If it's set up right you can just let the rifle hang at the ready, then go for the pistol. Much faster, and you don't have to put your new toy in the dirt. I need to get one for my AR.

Jeremy

Megawatt said:
Looks like a good time dude!

In your video when you put your rifle down and went for your side arm....you need a tactical sling for the rifle. If it's set up right you can just let the rifle hang at the ready, then go for the pistol. Much faster, and you don't have to put your new toy in the dirt. I need to get one for my AR.

Jeremy
Yeah, I quickly realized the lameness of that, but it was kinda impromptu. I'll look into your suggestion...maybe in time for next weekend! ;)

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Yeah, I quickly realized the lameness of that, but it was kinda impromptu. I'll look into your suggestion...maybe in time for next weekend! ;)

-----Matt-----

BAH!! Just "Schwarzenneger-style" one arm the rifle on your weak side and then pull the pistol from your strong side. Then you can send twice the lead! Just forget about reloading......or actually hitting anything. :doh:

- Jay

Jay2000XJ said:
BAH!! Just "Schwarzenneger-style" one arm the rifle on your weak side and then pull the pistol from your strong side. Then you can send twice the lead! Just forget about reloading......or actually hitting anything. :doh:

- Jay

Schwarzenegger doesnt have a weak side, he's equally deadly with either arm, Didnt you learn anything from Commando. (insert best AHNOLD impression here) "Hey Sully remember when I said I'd kill you last? I LIED"

IXNAYXJ said:
Adam (adamusmc2002), our recent transferee from SoCal, and John. I'm really not sure what's going on, but you're free to guess. And post amusing captions.

DSC01493.jpg

-----Matt-----

"You the the Corps had hazing....let me show ya what we do to rookies in the army!"

Update!

Ever since our trip to Evans a few weeks ago, when John had to tow a helpless 'Yota up a hill, he's been itching to do it again. Saturday, he got his chance. On our way up to our super-secret shooting range, we encountered a really nice '69 Toyota FJ40 on 33" Swampers. He asked where we were going. I informed him that we were going..."up the trail." He said, "What trail? Nothing could make it up that. That's a washed out deer track." "Follow me," I replied, with a sinister grin.

The three Cherokees in our group made it up with a little bit of wheel spin and careful tire placement. The trail has been getting more and more washed out and rutted with every rain, so it's actually semi-challenging. After we made it up, we watched as the FJ tried to climb the grade. And tried. And tried. Keep in mind, this was not a RAV4 or something, but a well-fitted out serious 4x4.

We were having a great time watching and chuckling to ourselves. :D

He finally called uncle and asked us for help. John took mercy and winched him up. I think I saw him carve a second notch into his winch. ;)

DSC01451.jpg

John and Adam bemusedly looking on. Part of the problem, we discovered, was the driver "Pulled a Sniggs" and aired his tires down from 35 psi to 34 psi. Upon discovering this, we loaned him some deflators. It was, in the end in vain, but he made it about 10 feet further.

DSC01457.jpg

They threw in the towel...over the winch cable.

DSC01458.jpg

This angle gives some concept of the steepness of the grade. Coming up all you can see is sky. Notice John's suspension compressing:

DSC01459.jpg

While the 'Yotards were bouncing around trying to get up the trail, I positioned myself for some shameless posing:

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

This is me a while ago coming down, another shot to give some perspective:

DSC00209.jpg

The End.

-----Matt-----

Back