• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Pwr Driver Side Window

BeamMeUp

NAXJA Forum User
My window made a popping sound after I went to roll it up. Now it doesn't go up at all. I went over a speed bump and the window slid all the way into the door and now I can't get it up out of the door. I started taking the door apart but am not quite sure how far I have to disassemble it to get it back on track.

Thanks,

Scott:mad:

Very, very, very common problem with late model (I'm assuming you have a 97+) XJ's. The window is held on to the worm drive with a thin piece of plastic film that is prone to breakage. This means getting it back on track will not solve your problem. To answer your question though, you need to remove the door panel, disconnect the power lock / window controls, disconnect the lock / latch mechanism, and finally remove the window regulator itself. It's really pretty easy after you have done it a few times...

Here's your options:

1. Replace the regulator (they don't sell the window bracket individually). They cost about $250 new or around $80-100 used on ebay.

2. Disassemble the window bracket and modify it so you can re-attach it to the worm drive with safety wire. This is what I did but it only lasts about a year each time you fix it and it eventually ruins your rails. This prevented me from using option number 3...

3. There is a guy on ebay that sells XJ window repair kits (I told you this is a common problem). They go for $50 and essentially do the same thing as my option number 2 in a much cleaner fashion. Look it up on ebay, he has really thorough directions (with pictures) on how to take apart and reassemble the door and window mechanism.

After fixing my driver's window 4 times and the passenger's window 2 times, I decided it was finally time to replace the regulators. When they break again, I'll give the repair kit a try.

I checked it out. Looks decent enough of a kit for $50, that seems like it will fix it for good. Oh, I have a 1998 Sport anything else I should watch out for? Somebody told me to watch out for my rear seals, b/c they are prone to leak.

Thanks,

Scott

i bought that kit from the same guy. It worked great! He sells the kit on a different site for $35 bucks. do a google search cuz i dont remember the link.

Yeah, I think the price has gone up over the past year or two. I remember looking at his ebay feedback and seeing a comment along the lines of "the best $40 I ever spent." I'll have to see if I can find the non-ebay route when the time comes. Glad to hear the kit worked for you.

Hey if one of you guys can post up that non-ebay link that would be fantastic. My window took a dump last night, and I need to use this fix.

Back