• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alabama Cylinder heads, question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was just looking through the site and they only list one head casting for 91-01 and its the 0331 casting.

Is this just some "new old stock" or is this a completely new and up to date casting that won't crack like the original 0331?

Anybody else have one? How has it held up?

Edit: This could have been in OEM instead so Mods feel free to move it if needed!

I was just looking through the site and they only list one head casting for 91-01 and its the 0331 casting.

Is this just some "new old stock" or is this a completely new and up to date casting that won't crack like the original 0331?

Anybody else have one? How has it held up?

Edit: This could have been in OEM instead so Mods feel free to move it if needed!

I'd think they're either NOS or reconditioned castings - the only "new aftermarket" head casting for the AMC six is the aluminum head sold by Patriot and HESCO - 1975-1990 258ci and 1987-2007 242ci.

If you go to Alabama's eBay store, they list the castings as 7120, 0630, or 0331. And they say that these are all brand new. I'd call them just to make sure.

And FWIW, Alabama and Patriot are affiliated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wran...ryZ33617QQihZ024QQitemZ370116975411QQtcZphoto

Looking at Alabama's website, it show one head, Model # CHR640N, to replace OEM heads 063, 7120 and 0331.
http://www.acheinc.com/productdetail.php?id=109
I thought the 0331 head had much different exhaust ports than the 063 and 7120 heads.
Wonder how they do that.

Looking at Alabama's website, it show one head, Model # CHR640N, to replace OEM heads 063, 7120 and 0331.
http://www.acheinc.com/productdetail.php?id=109
I thought the 0331 head had much different exhaust ports than the 063 and 7120 heads.
Wonder how they do that.

I guess thats what I was wondering the most is how are they using one head to accommodate several different revisions. I'll call them.

I guess that the small exhaust ports of the 0331 would still work with the older exhaust manifolds. The bottom of the ports is just raised. I know I've seen some other shop on the internet that lists different heads for pre 1999, but I haven't been able to find it lately. I'd look for a 0630/7120 on craigslist for $50 and build my coil rail adapter if it's for 99+.

I guess that the small exhaust ports of the 0331 would still work with the older exhaust manifolds. The bottom of the ports is just raised. I know I've seen some other shop on the internet that lists different heads for pre 1999, but I haven't been able to find it lately. I'd look for a 0630/7120 on craigslist for $50 and build my coil rail adapter if it's for 99+.

This may be a dumb question, (mostly because I'm to tired to go out to the driveway and compare the different model years) but can the other castings be drilled and tapped to accept the COP's so I would not have to make brackets.

We have a 90, 94, (2)96's and a 00. The 00 has the 0331 head and its sitting at 110k so it is about due to crack. I want to have a head ready when it goes.

This may be a dumb question, (mostly because I'm to tired to go out to the driveway and compare the different model years) but can the other castings be drilled and tapped to accept the COP's so I would not have to make brackets.

We have a 90, 94, (2)96's and a 00. The 00 has the 0331 head and its sitting at 110k so it is about due to crack. I want to have a head ready when it goes.

The brackets are way easy. One guy just used corner brackets from Home Depot. It's way easier than drilling and tapping the head. I think he used the valve cover bolts. Don't even consider it to be an issue. Once you get everything in place, you'll figure out something at least that good.

The hardest part is adapting the exhaust after the older style manifold, which won't be that bad.

Back