• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum bottle behind front bumper

rebelcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I was planing on cutting my bumper to alow more room but under the pasengrer side of the of the bumper there is a vacuum bottle there and there are (3) lines going to it. I was wanting to by pass it if it is possible

The vacuum reservoir is there to provide the required vacuum to onboard components when the load on the engine eliminated most of the engine's available vacuum.

You didn't state the year or front axle, but if you have a D30 diconnect it won't work, or you will experience some weird heating/cooling happenings in the cabin.
Relocate it into the engine or passenger compartment, don't try to eliminate it.

I was planing on cutting my bumper to alow more room but under the pasengrer side of the of the bumper there is a vacuum bottle there and there are (3) lines going to it. I was wanting to by pass it if it is possible
Go for it if you don't mind stuff not working anymore. IE cruise control, HVAC stuck in defrost mode, maybe more.

Ya i rerouted mine into the engine compartment. The lines are long enough to give you a few options of how to mount it. For now mine is just zip tied in til' i get around to doing a better mount job. That usually doesn't happen 'til something breaks.

I just unplugged all my hoses to the bottle, pulled the bottle out and pulled all the hoses up by the battery, then plugged them back into the bottle and placed it ontop of the oil filter. There's a nice gap there that fits the bottle no problem, and since it isn't attached I can move it out of the way whenever I need.

NOTE: I did snap one of the lines on my '89 with 207k but it was a simple fix, get some vaccum line (about a foot, so if need be you can cut it and use the rest later) and slide the broken lines into the hose, then zip tie the ends. :)

~Scott

The vacuum reservoir is there to provide the required vacuum to onboard components when the load on the engine eliminated most of the engine's available vacuum.

You didn't state the year or front axle, but if you have a D30 diconnect it won't work, or you will experience some weird heating/cooling happenings in the cabin.
Relocate it into the engine or passenger compartment, don't try to eliminate it.
I had no vac. canister for about a year and my d30 disco still worked fine - I think the reason was that I had connected the lines going to the canister to each other instead of just capping them off - I put a canister back on though because I got sick of my vents being stuck on defrost

You know, I removed my stock bumper a month ago in favor of a JCR Offroad bumper and forgot all about relocating my vacuum bottle. I guess I now have a project for this weekend.

When I installed the C4x4F front bumper.... I looked for a place to relocate the reservoir, but decided on the cross brace where the passenger side horn is mounted...
This location has worked well for 10 years...
Briefly thought about mounting it to the firewall beneath the A/C drier, but decided there was too much engine heat there.....

I put mine where the airbox used to be.

Back