• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Backwoods No Start Opus

drunkbynoon

NAXJA Forum User
Both CPS Units (Distro/Bellhousing Replaced)
Cap, Rotor, Wires, Coil Replaced
Starter Replaced
Battery Replaced
Have Spark
Have Fuel At Rail-checked it sprays out from schrader valve
Good Compression
Timing ok

Try to start, no fuel in cylinders plugs are dry.

So to the next step for a thankful Noob.....

Get it scanned?

Is there a sensor that controls injector pulse?

Fried ECU?

This has gotten interesting and I have been goofing around with it for a month.

Thanks for any ideas, this site has been great.

:dunce:

I think on yours it takes over 20 lbs to the injectors..You can get a gauge to check this from a parts house..Find a friend to see if they have one

Rent a fuel injection pressure gauge at your local friendly part house and test the pressure.

Fuel injectors have a fuse in the PDC under the hood. This fuse supplies power to the injectors and the PCM completes the ground to make the injectors fire. Check for 12 volts coming to the injectors. If it isn't, it may be the fuse or possibly the ASN relay.

:huh:you could have some one try to start it and hold a long screwdrivet to your ear the handle and the other end on the injector you should hear it tick tick tick

Nothing on starting fluid. I rented a fuel pressure gauge and it is within spec at the rail. I replaced the fuel filter too. I looked at the fuses, they are ok. I have to go back to the parts store and return the pressure gauge. So I will get some relays (can't hurt to have) and see if that does it. If not the ecu from jeeps r us up in erie.

One thing I noticed while cranking it over is a thumping from the engine area. Kind of a thump thump thump thump. Is that the camshaft turning the cylinders?

It has been a good jeep for 16 years. I have never had this happen before...odd.:confused:

If you get nothing on spray start, it kind of indicates you have no spark. Have you pulled a spark plug wire off a plug, stuck a plug in the wire and held the plug up to the head or block while somebody cranks it to check for a bright blue spark?

Buy a voltmeter ($3 to $10) instead of relays. It is much more valuable than extra relays. Then check for 12 volts at the injectors. Remove a injector plug turn the key to the run position. Hold the red probe in the plug and the black to the negative battery terminal. You may need to test both sides of the plug. If either side has 12 volts, you have tested out half of your injector system.

Don't know about the thump. Crankshaft moves the pistons in the cylinders while the camshaft opens and closes the intake and exhaust valves at the right time (hopefully).

Cap, Rotor, Wires, Coil Replaced, so you did replace these right?

Did you install in right firing order?...Did you check to see if you have spark at plugs?

Air+Fuel+Compression+Ignition, all at the right place at the right time = Happy Camper.

Something must be missing or not where it is supposed to be at the right time.

Back