• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What direction?

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I'm at a stand still on what direction to go next. I just got done lifting my '98 to 5.5". I have the brake lines, bump stops and RE mono tube shocks on order. Streering is all in line, minus the ZJ upgrade. My XJ is a DD and will be mainly driven at the Badlands (no crazy rocks). Right now she has the standard D30 and 8.25 29 spline with 3.55 gears. Tires are 32" BFG A/T. Do I
A. Throw an Ausie in the rear
B. Gear to 4.10
C. Go with some meaty 32 M/T
D. Leave it alone, wheel the piss out of it till I get stuck and decide from there.

Wish I could do them all but you how things are now a days. Thanks again

Erick

Not on your list, but get rock sliders, just for when you decide you really do want to try that rock, it'll help keep your DD looking like a DD, comparatively one of the cheaper upgrades.

Also cut open your wheel wells and put on at least 33x12.5 M/T, opening up the wheel wells doesn't affect anything other than your fender flares, it'll still drive just as good. M/T's drive almost the same as A/T's on the road, and are twice as good offroad. Do that before your next set of tires, otherwise you'll have another 30 or 40,000 miles to regret not doing it.

Coming to Winterfest?

I wouldn't gear until you get 33" tires. Then gear to 4.56 and lock one diff at that time.

Otherwise, save your bucks and buy protection first and wheel the crap out of it (as in option D).

1. x2 on the rocker protection, it's very easy to damage and very hard to repair, and it's usually the first thing you will hit.

2. Dont waste time with 4.10 gears. Go with 4.56 and at least lock the rear while your at it. Ausie if you're on a budget otherwise get a selectable locker.

3. Lock the front.

4. Recovery points

5. Diff guards, gast tank skid, and tranny/tcase skid.

6. Upgrade the brakes.

7. 33" or 35" tires.

You'll need about $3K .....

Thanks for the advice guys. Years ago i was wheeling an 88 with just a 3" lift with 31 A/Ts and had no problems. She even went through the orange trail without any problems. Lotta rubbin but thats it. I will definately look at some rails. Now I have a spare 8.25 4.10 27 spline sitting in the basement. Worth upgrading to stronger axles or ditch it and use the money for the rails.

SC Redneck... If I can get off work I'm there!

1. x2 on the rocker protection, it's very easy to damage and very hard to repair, and it's usually the first thing you will hit.

2. Dont waste time with 4.10 gears. Go with 4.56 and at least lock the rear while your at it. Ausie if you're on a budget otherwise get a selectable locker.

3. Lock the front.

4. Recovery points

5. Diff guards, gast tank skid, and tranny/tcase skid.

6. Upgrade the brakes.

7. 33" or 35" tires.

You'll need about $3K .....

You can make a very capable rig for well below $3k, including the cost of the Jeep.

You don't have to spend a ton of money. You just need to do things smartly. All the items above are great ideas and if you have the money to throw at it, do it by all means.

But if you're on a budget and you still want a very capable rig, all you need to do is get some nice tires (buy them used to save money). You can tackle a loooot of stuff with just 33" tires, and you'll only need about 3" of lift with some good fender trimming.
Weld the rear diff (if it's not a DD). If it is a DD, get an Aussie auto locker (cost $250 shipped).
Skidplates and gearing are certainly nice to have, but not necessary. I have stock engine skidplate (found at a junkyard for $15). And I still have stock gearing on 33's (not the best for a DD, but fine for a trail rig).

Like I said, if you have the money, go all out. If you don't, just do things smartly and for the terrain you expect to tackle.

Here's some pics of mine:

OcalaTrip1-24-09069-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09070-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09074.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09082.jpg

Click to make bigger:

You are in the exact same delimma I was, except I was at 4.5". Mine is also mostly a DD.

1. Trim the fenders
2. 33" M/T's (I made the mistake of getting 32's when I still had a 3" lift)
3. 4.56 gears
4. Powertrax No-slip in the rear (I did mine same time as the gears, as well as diff covers)

Throw an SYE and driveshaft in there somewhere too if you don't have it already.

I decided to get the sliders next. Then gears (4.56) and rear locker at the same time. Hopefully by mid summer I'll be able to get some 33s.

Back