• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax 15 gear oil question

kymtnman

NAXJA Forum User
first off i did search, but i guess im not smart enough,i know this has been through before,but what is the correct oil to now put in the ax 15 since some is no longer avail. im getting a salvage tranny since mine is getting very hard to shift... synch. are going away,& i want to put the right stuff in..

Redline's MT90. It's a GL-4 and doesn't have the sulfur(GL-5s do) that will eat up the brass synchros.

70w-90

I recommend Amsoil Severe Gear

I am now using Mobile-1 10w30, and glad of it.

i run full synthetic 10 w30. works pretty good for me

I'm curious about that 10W30 motor oil and how it works out, I just changed mine friday nite with Redline MT90.

GL-4 can also cause trouble with long-term use - as you go up through the GL-x scale, the sulphur content increases. It's not that GL-4 has "no" sulphur, it just has less sulphur than GL-5. GL-3 is preferred.

Especially in colder climes, success has been reported with using engine oil as well - colder climes tend to respond well to 10W-30 or 10W-40, and I would think that 40, 50, or 60-vis oil would work well in more temperate regions. I have not personally tested this in the AX-15, but I used to run the old Muncies on engine oil and it would work well (to reduce the power drain of the box - the thinner oil takes less power to move through the box.)

The sulphur issue is caused by the bronze synchroniser rings in the case - sulphur is antagonistic to yellow metals (copper-based alloys,) and you end up draining your oil with what looks like gold glitter in it - that was your synchroniser rings...

:pirateflaredline mtl in my ax15 after my syncros were destroyed

Back