• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Damper

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
While attempting to solve another issue with my Jeep I noticed that my steering damper was leaking pretty badly. I have my factory service manual but the its instructions are basically just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. I'm up at school so only have limited tools in my Jeep. Basically I was wondering if anyone else has had experience replacing their steering damper and if so did it end up being a bigger job than it seemed. Thanks

It has a tapered bolt that be tough to remove, usually a 1/4 lb of C4 works well.
Basically it is easy, just that tapered bolt can be a nitemare.

Its easy. Most difficult part is getting the new one lined up for the bolt holes, which really isnt hard at all with a hammer.

like they said its a pretty easy pull and replace
im also at school with very limited tools and i had some trouble with it getting that tapered bolt off too
ended up just taking it to a local shop where they did the swap for just $15.

on my other xj i just cut the old one to make the removal easier

Awesome...I was just worried because in the FSM it says you need a puller tool. But I couldn't really see how that would be necessary. Anyone know if the $12 puller tool from autozone would be sufficient if one was needed? Or is it some silly Chrysler tool?

If you tap the tapered bolt out with a hammer, make sure you leave on the castelated nut to prevent damaging the threads.

You can rent a puller from Autzone (or equiv) for free if you have a credit card. I recommend the puller if you don't have a BFG and are sporting girly arms.

MadPikAvenger said:
Awesome...I was just worried because in the FSM it says you need a puller tool. But I couldn't really see how that would be necessary. Anyone know if the $12 puller tool from autozone would be sufficient if one was needed? Or is it some silly Chrysler tool?
Yep, that's the one I used when I changed TREs and damper. They had one that is slightly smaller than the one I bought, shoulda bought the little one. I say that because it would have made removing the upper drag link tre easier due to the shorter profile. If all you are doing is the damper, a BFH will get you there but the puller has other uses as well. Plus you get a new tool :)
my $.02

If you start hammering that puppy out make sure no one is down range.

Back