• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Pins, cheap and easy fix

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I know pics are a must:eeks1: but I won't have time to take any until sometime tomorrow. My hood latch broke and I decided to be a little different and go the hood pin route. I kept the safety latch and I haven't taken out the old hood latch mechanism yet but i will soon. Overall, the install was fairly easy. Once we had the proper bits it flew bye. It took a little longer then I though but it is Vermont so it was just a tab bit cold. I actually like the look, a lot and they were a cheap alternitive to replaceing the cable and pully under the hood. I know of a few rigs on here that have done this but I have never seen one in person. Hopfully tomorrow i can have pics up. Cheers!

I did the same.
I like it a lot more personally
the only thing is that other people could potentially get into your engine bay now...

I am going to be putting a padlock on each pin to secure the hood. I just need to find one that will fit.

It happens back home all the time. I could care less how it looks but since it is still my DD, I don't want just anyone to be able to pop the hood and do whatever they wish. On the trail the locks will be off.

I have to admit, I did have a friend with a fox mustang who had a cowl hood with pins. He came out of the grocery store and didn't notice someone had pulled the cotter pins out. I don't think he got too far down the street before WHAM! Had to replace the hood, cowl panel, windshield, and get the roof fixed, not to mention repaint the car.

In high school, we used to screw with a guy who had hood pins. We'd pull'em and prop his hood up. He'd be looking forever to see what somebody messed with, but we never touched anything else.

Here are some pictures of how mine turned out.

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I have to admit, I did have a friend with a fox mustang who had a cowl hood with pins. He came out of the grocery store and didn't notice someone had pulled the cotter pins out. I don't think he got too far down the street before WHAM! Had to replace the hood, cowl panel, windshield, and get the roof fixed, not to mention repaint the car.
thats just wrong. soo mean. karma..

Back