• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have steel wheel out of round?

Andy Brian

NAXJA Forum User
Was told today that many people have problems with steel wheels being out of round. I was going to order some Cragar soft 8's. Is this really a problem?

Andy

Was told today that many people have problems with steel wheels being out of round. I was going to order some Cragar soft 8's. Is this really a problem?

Andy

Steel wheels being out of round?

Do you mean bent rims?

Then yes, steel will bend. Are they going to bend from driving around? No. Will they bend from hard wheeling, usually not unless you hit something with them.

The great thing is, you just takea hammer and bend them back.

Steel wheels being out of round?

Do you mean bent rims?

Then yes, steel will bend. Are they going to bend from driving around? No. Will they bend from hard wheeling, usually not unless you hit something with them.

The great thing is, you just takea hammer and bend them back.

I think he's refering to soft 8's commonly being out of round, out of the box. :)

I have two sets. 1 set of 15x8 soft 8's, which have about 50K miles on them. And a fairlly new set of 17X9 soft 8's. Both sets are perfect. I haven't been exactly easy on them either.

I think he's refering to soft 8's commonly being out of round, out of the box. :)

Oh, first time I've heard about that. I have yet to encounter this on both sets I've had. (or any of my friends)

At least the guys who mounted them never said anything.

Thanks,

I couldn't hardly believe it when I heard there were problems. I suppose it could be so with certain manufacturers but with Cragar I would think they would be fine.

There is such a thing called tires being OOR tho. Maybe that was the problem.

I haven't seen any out of round, harder to balance occassionally (fixable), and sometimes pinholes in the welds that cause air leaks (fixable). They're cheap for a reason. :)

My Cragar D-windows were fine out of the box, all 5 of them. A couple have bent lips now from rocks, but they are still balanced and still hold air.

Back