• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Floaties

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys;
I can't seem to find any bolts holding on the plastic floaties on the end of the front and rear bumpers on my 99....I want to get rid of them! Also that stupid plastic "air damn" thing under the front bumper needs to go as well. Any help would be appriciated!

my dam used philip head screws to attach it. As per the plastic end caps, if you still have them on there, then you need to wheel harder. Every time I go out I end up knocking some plastic trim peice off

twisted_ed said:
my dam used philip head screws to attach it. As per the plastic end caps, if you still have them on there, then you need to wheel harder. Every time I go out I end up knocking some plastic trim peice off

x2.... Did you know that you can completly turn the front ones inside out and back several times.

you know that air damn actually does things right. its a vacuum canister. it controls venting and cruise controll (some people say brake assist, but i dont think so)
just relocate it

rocklandxjer said:
you know that air damn actually does things right. its a vacuum canister. it controls venting and cruise controll (some people say brake assist, but i dont think so)
just relocate it

He is talking about the trim pieces...not the vacumn canister.

rocklandxjer said:
doesnt sound like the trim pieces to me

Then you don't know the difference between "under" and "inside."

rocklandxjer said:
theres no way you can call that little flap of plastic an air dam...

That's what it is... also called a lower valance.

To answer the original question about the '99 XJ, the front bumper end caps are held in place by a few small bolts underneath the bumper and 2 screws into each fender. They then slide out sideways from a key slot. The air dam is riveted to the bumper, so you can drill the rivets out. Even easier, is to use a heat gun, torch or soldering iron to soften the plastic around the rivets and just yank it free.

Will the older style end caps fit the newer bumper? I'm looking to rid myself of the whole air dam...and had a brain storm. I don't really see a need to get rid of the stock bumper as I have a front receiver.

JeffsJeep04 said:
Will the older style end caps fit the newer bumper? I'm looking to rid myself of the whole air dam...and had a brain storm. I don't really see a need to get rid of the stock bumper as I have a front receiver.

thats exactly what I did, went out and grabbed some older style (96 n older) front bumper end caps and bolted them onto my 97's bumper. It didn't look perfect but unless you came to have a good upclose look at it you couldn't see any problems with it.
After getting a new front bumper I used those end caps, cut a bit of the angle off them and put them on my rear bumper... looks even rougher but still takes away from the sad sheet metal look the bumper has with no end caps at all.

Sweet. Thanks guys. I havent wheeled it yet...just got the truck on Friday...don't worry not my first jeep, just my first XJ....its got the RK 4.5" with 33" BFG A/T's! I love it.

The correct name for the plastic trim under the bumper is "Airdam", or lower valance if you prefer.
The plastic vacuum canister is called a Vacuum Canister, and it does do things, but that is mounted in the bumper, not below it, and people know enough not to remove it if it has a hose going to it.

For the rivits, you will see a little circular piece in the middle of the rivet, take something skinny and tap that up, and you will then be able to pull them right out, this also applies to rivets on street signs.....
End caps are held on by one or two screws under the bumper, and two screws attached to the fender

Acually that air dam does have a purpose. The underside of a vehicle isn't very airodynamic, and it inproves the fuel effiency by directing the air around insted of going under it.
As for removing them if you pull the fender liner back you will see the bolts holding the front ones on, and there is one in the bumper. The rears have a bold in the bumper, and one in the fender well. Then they pull straight back to get them off the clips.

Back