• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix fuel pumps

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 limited with the renix system and that fuel pump noise is driving me crazy. Even with the resistor in place it is still driving me crazy. Does anybody have fix for this? Say a replacement pump that is not so noisy? Any later model pumps work? Anybody done any research on this? Am I the only one that hates all that noise? If anybody has a fix please post it.

I improvised a fuel tank where I placed the pickup-assembly in an open plastic container right behind the driver's seat. That was with the stock pump, and there was surprisingly little noise to be heard.

Mine's noisy, especially when the tank is really low. I sometimes notice the noise before the gauge light.

It's not a cheap exercise to replace a pump, plus the labor, just because of the noise. And often, regardless of brand, it doesn't go away. It has more to do with lower voltage running the pump at a slightly lower speed that resonates, plus the pump hanger bending from constant jouncing and allowing contact with the tank.

For $100+ dollars and a days labor, I'll leave it alone until it requires work. I can't hear it anymore since I got BFG AT/KO's anyway, and I enjoy the tires humming.

Pump cavitation can make things noisy, check/replace the rubber pickup hose?

Last edited:
I bought some speakers/subs that are louder than any noise my 1990 xj makes.:D I dont think I have ever heard my fuel pump. Whats it sound like?

Are you sure you still have the rubber grommet that goes on the end of the pump and resides in the bracket inside the tank. Without that, the thing vibrates.

Old age and experience once again wins over youth and enthusiasm!

Fix the problem, or turn up the volume! LOL!

I would think it would be a dealership item, but check with the part houses first.

Back