• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about seats driver and passenger

dzolcali

NAXJA Forum User
I unbolted my seats last night in hopes of cleaning the covers off in the washing machine...unfortunately the top half of the seat covers has a zipper on it that wraps around the connection point of the seat hinge(where you lay the seat back or prop it foward)
there is a large allen wrench socket on one side, I tried turning it with a T handle but couldn't get it to budge...I'm really not even sure if thats how you seperate the halves.

has anyone taken their covers off before and could you explain to me how to get mine off exactly they are covered in dried mud and I would really like to get them clean.

on a side note I snapped one of the floor nuts off when I was trying to loosen it...will it be safe to just run 3 bolts to hold the seat down or is that one really going to make it unsafe seeing as I have to get a tap to get the threading out and then replace the bolt all together.

thanks for any help

technically its the seatbelt bolts that hold you in (on a head on crash) so youll be fine were you to be involved in a head on crash
from behind it might do more damage to the seat. but probably not UNSAFE

use pb next time

rocklandxjer said:
technically its the seatbelt bolts that hold you in (on a head on crash) so youll be fine were you to be involved in a head on crash
from behind it might do more damage to the seat. but probably not UNSAFE

use pb next time

i did, I put pb on them and let them sit for quite a while, still snapped one off...

anyways I really need to figure out how to take these covers off the seats are bolted together at the hinge, I can't get the allen wrench socket to budge...and there are some other kinda bolts on one side but they don't appear to hold the seat hinge together...the zipper ties around the hinges though, if I cut it will it Eff anything up do you think?

theres always the blanket cover...

i didnt even think they were seat covers... are you sure they are made to come off. if it were me id just scrub em and let em sit in the sun for a day to dry out... most likely those stains aint comin out anyways

I've removed my seats and seat covers and washed them, pretty good results;

I also snapped that one bolt off, your talking about. You can see the other side under the car, just grind the nut and remaining bolt off the floor pan, then get a replacement bolt and nut from the local hardware store. MAKE SURE ITS GRADE 8 or 10.9 (Metric). Just use two wrenches to tighten it down, use some BLue LockTight, not only to keep it from coming loose but keep corrosion out of the nut.

No way around it, you have to seperate the top and bottom frames of the seat to get the covers off. You'll just have to get a better allen wrench, Mine had big TORX Screws, you can usually get a good torx/allen wrench for a few bucks at any auto/hardware store.

Once you have the top and bottom frames apart, you'll have a new challenge to get the covers all the way off. The Hog/Uphostery Rings, there are several rods in the covers that clip to points molded into the seat cushions. The clips are circular little rings that you have to pull open to unclip the rods from the cushions. Putting them back on, you have bend the rings back into shape. I used a Needle Nose Pliers, and its less than perfect, taking quite a while and repeated attempts at manipulating those little rings on and off. There are special tools that make the job easier, but not really worth the cost for just 2 seats.

Wash the seat covers on gentle, and do it several times, use some oxy-clean and color safe bleach as well. I got out all but one slight stain out my seats, they look almost brand new coming out of the washing machine.

Let them dry inside out, and dry completely before re-assembly. I also sprayed some Frebreeze (oder nuetralizer) on the inside and outside of the covers, then Scotch Guard, before re-assembly.

Rick Anderson said:
I've removed my seats and seat covers and washed them, pretty good results;

I also snapped that one bolt off, your talking about. You can see the other side under the car, just grind the nut and remaining bolt off the floor pan, then get a replacement bolt and nut from the local hardware store. MAKE SURE ITS GRADE 8 or 10.9 (Metric). Just use two wrenches to tighten it down, use some BLue LockTight, not only to keep it from coming loose but keep corrosion out of the nut.

No way around it, you have to seperate the top and bottom frames of the seat to get the covers off. You'll just have to get a better allen wrench, Mine had big TORX Screws, you can usually get a good torx/allen wrench for a few bucks at any auto/hardware store.

Once you have the top and bottom frames apart, you'll have a new challenge to get the covers all the way off. The Hog/Uphostery Rings, there are several rods in the covers that clip to points molded into the seat cushions. The clips are circular little rings that you have to pull open to unclip the rods from the cushions. Putting them back on, you have bend the rings back into shape. I used a Needle Nose Pliers, and its less than perfect, taking quite a while and repeated attempts at manipulating those little rings on and off. There are special tools that make the job easier, but not really worth the cost for just 2 seats.

Wash the seat covers on gentle, and do it several times, use some oxy-clean and color safe bleach as well. I got out all but one slight stain out my seats, they look almost brand new coming out of the washing machine.

Let them dry inside out, and dry completely before re-assembly. I also sprayed some Frebreeze (oder nuetralizer) on the inside and outside of the covers, then Scotch Guard, before re-assembly.

thats what I needed Thanks much!!!

Back