• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop and hitch question

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found half an answer for my question:

1. transfer case drop--a 2000 has two nuts and two bolts. I know the studs need to be removed but I don't see a way of getting a bolt in there to replace them. help?

2. I have ZJ gas tank skid and hitch. the skid will not work with the Reese hitch thats on it now. I was thinking of using the zj hitch instead but I need something beefy to support my MX Bike. label says weight distributing is 750lbs, but weight carrying is only 200. I'm putting 350lbs on the tongue now with the Reese (high estimate, and within its range). Anyone more familiar with the abilities of a standard V8 ZJ hitch?

thanks
adam

1) when you unscrew the stud screw in a bolt

2) The ZJ hitch is the same as the XJ hitch. My hitch on my XJ started its life on a ZJ. A buddy pulled the one on his ZJ off of an XJ

When you get the studs out, the bolts that came with the transfer case drop will bolt right back in. If the studs are long enough, the easiest way to get the studs out is to screw 2 nuts on the stud and tighten them down against each other. Then you can put your wrench on the upper one and unscrew the stud. Repeat for the second one.

I broke one studd off inside the unibody and had to tack weld a nut in the hole where the stud was and use a bolt the bolt the Tcase cross member back up... so no Tcase drop for me. I now have to find aftermarket Tcase Cross member. of cut a hole in the side of the unibody to where i can get a nut and a open end wrench in there.

I think I'll try some PB and some heat for that stud...any other suggestions? anyone on the hitch capacity? i'd rather not be dragging a KTM down the freeway ;)

I broke one studd off inside the unibody and had to tack weld a nut in the hole where the stud was and use a bolt the bolt the Tcase cross member back up... so no Tcase drop for me. I now have to find aftermarket Tcase Cross member. of cut a hole in the side of the unibody to where i can get a nut and a open end wrench in there.

thats the kind of thing i hope to avoid...

Back