• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Mod - LEDs

I haven't done it but I've had my guages out a lot lately fixing a no bus situation. Ours look exactly the same as the one depicted here. Should work just fine.

Yeah just get some ultra-white or blue LEDs and pop them in. I switched the ones on my 91 but kept the white.

FWIW the late-model XJ and TJ gauge clusters are interchangeable.

cool thanks 4 the info. does the white give off a blueish tint? most of the pics i have seen look that way

here's a bad pic but it works for explanation

LED_bulbs_installed.jpg

the bulbs behind the gauges are about 6000 kelvin (natural white) color temperature while the bulbs behind the switches (fogs, rear wiper, etc) are about 9000 kelvin (bright white). the hotter white, the more blue you get. typical incandescent car lights (warm white) are about 3000 kelvin.

care to post where you got the LEDs for the early dash?

Superbirhgtleds.com

And yes the white bulbs do still give off the teal/blue tint. the gauge overlay has a residue applied over the numbers that give it this color. In order to get rid of it you have to completely disassemble the gauge cluster and remove it with either a knife/key/object, or some nail polish remover. Lots of involved work, and in the process of scraping it off you'll remove the diffuser dots as well, so light will be spred unevenly all around the cluster. Bottom line, too much work, looks like crap after.

the bulbs behind the gauges are about 6000 kelvin (natural white) color temperature while the bulbs behind the switches (fogs, rear wiper, etc) are about 9000 kelvin (bright white). the hotter white, the more blue you get. typical incandescent car lights (warm white) are about 3000 kelvin.

You have the right concept, but incandescent is more like 3900-4100. Warm white led's are around 43-4500 and cool white are about 45-5500. 9000 you're getting preeeetty blue.

Here was mine previously.

Before any mods
DSC02219.jpg

After disassembly, removal of tinting residue, and putting led strips inside the cluster that were soldered to the board. It looks spotty, but is actually flawless. Bad pics. I'm in the process of redoing them though, I don't like the removed hatch marks in between the numbers anymore...
DSC02221.jpg

Superbirhgtleds.com

[...]

You have the right concept, but incandescent is more like 3900-4100. Warm white led's are around 43-4500 and cool white are about 45-5500. 9000 you're getting preeeetty blue.

here's the kelvin chart from superbrightleds.com 194 listing

WLED-CW6 . Cool White ... 9600
WLED-NW6 . Natural White ... 4500
WLED-WW6 . Warm White ... 3300

also note the footnote: "White LED Note: Correlated Color Temperature measured in Kelvin, higher numbers indicate blue/purple tint (similar to HID lamps), standard incandescent bulbs are around 3000K"

I just put on some white overlays and added some white LED bulbs on the MJ.

IMG_1740.jpg

Here was mine previously.

Before any mods
DSC02219.jpg

After disassembly, removal of tinting residue, and putting led strips inside the cluster that were soldered to the board. It looks spotty, but is actually flawless. Bad pics. I'm in the process of redoing them though, I don't like the removed hatch marks in between the numbers anymore...
DSC02221.jpg

is it me, or did your speedo change? the numbers aren't as high and not in the same spot

so if the late model XJ has the green numbers with the red pegs like in dan mans post. and i dont want to take off the factory tint would i get all super white leds? or some red and some green?

I don't understand your question? If you put white led's in the bulb holes without doing anything else, the green will be a light teal color, and the orange will be orange.

Back