• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Difference in 4.0 auto. and 4.0 man.

hanaxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Please help if ya know..

I'am selling a 1987 4.0 engine/auto trans... Got a guy interested in the engine, But he says it won't work with a manuel trans. without changing the crank.. I can't believe they made two different engines and /or cranks..

Please FYI me

Nick

I don't know specifically on the jeep 4.0L, but I had the same problem with a ford engine I tried to sell once. The reason was because the crank is not drilled for the pilot bearing. I don't know if it is possible to drill and insert the bearing?

I've never heard of an engine with two different crankshaft versions. Why is this? Because when the engines are assembled nobody knows what transmission is going to be bolted up to it.

Trust me, my Father was a Ford Motor Corporation Assembly Plant Foreman/Supervisor in both Richmond and Milpitas California, for nearly 40 years, and I am familiar with their PICS system (Product and Inventory Control System--the reason each part arrives at the assembly line at the right time so that line never stops).

I've never heard of an engine with two different crankshaft versions. Why is this? Because when the engines are assembled nobody knows what transmission is going to be bolted up to it.

Trust me, my Father was a Ford Motor Corporation Assembly Plant Foreman/Supervisor in both Richmond and Milpitas California, for nearly 40 years, and I am familiar with their PICS system (Product and Inventory Control System--the reason each part arrives at the assembly line at the right time so that line never stops).
toyota had some at/mt specific cranks

There is no way it should matter! :dunno: someone enlighten me if i am wrong!

Well, I will accept that Toyota did that because you say it is so, but why would they waste the money?

I looked through the parts CD for 88, there are two different Cranks, but it seems to have nothing to do with the pilot bushing. Seems to be two different main bearing designs.
There were some crank specific flywheel options for the 4.2 in that year motor (87).
I don't have the 87 CD, I'm thinking it was a part of the annex package for the 81-86 (XJ) CD I don't have.
My best guess is, buy a pilot bushing and measure. There are some different size pilot bushings out there for the 4.0 but they didn't show up until 92-93 or so.
What year engine is he trying to replace?
Novak (or advance) may have a selection of adapter pilot bearings.

Last edited:
I should have more info later. Like what is the difference?? Exact year ?

He's showing up to buy a tailight assy.

Thanks to all for the info.

Nick

Do you have the engine and tranny separated? Have a look and see if the crank is drilled and if the diameter looks right compared to the pilot bearing spec for that year.

I pulled a 4.0 from a 1988 XJ with an auto and put it into my 1984 CJ7 with a manual. No problems at all, other than the headache of building a wiring harness and custom mounting for the CPS on the T4 tranny.

Like has been said earlier, all it needs is the flywheel and the pilot bearing inserted in the crank. I have never seen a difference in the cranks. I have several from various years, 4.2 and 4.0. They are all generally the same except for some internal differences.

Rob

I have read that the pilot bearing OD is different between the Puegot and the AX15 trannies, but that I believe is a difference based on the year and not which tranny. I had no problem bolting up a 99 AW4 to my 89 motor. The recess for the button on the t/c matched up perfectly.

More than likely just need to swap the flywheel/clutch

I know people that have done the swap...even converted an auto Xj to a manual. hardest part was to put the clutch assembly into the firewall....also I believe the idle will be a bit higher than normal to accommodate for the old stall converter. right? anyways there is absolutely no way that the 4.0 is destined to be bolted to a certain tranny.

Last edited:
Back