• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell if I have a bent D30

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have been wearing tires on the inside edges and it looks like the tires sit a little like this/===\ . Is a bent axle the only thing it could be? Is there any way to fix this other then a new axle?

DSC00763.jpg

I can get more pics tomorrow

most likely bad wheel bearings or ball joints or a combination of the 2

Check your camber, and not your eyes. The body line makes things look strange.

Scrubbing the inside of the tread may be a toe alignment issue. Check that and your camber. Bad camber can be a bad ball joint, or a hub.

You can use a straight edge to check the straighness of the axle.

If you really do have a camber alignment issue and not something else, they make offset balljoints for just that reason.

another way to tell if your dirty thirty bent is if your long side axle seal is leaking fluid out the end of the tube.

sorry double post

Last edited:
most likely bad wheel bearings or ball joints or a combination of the 2
Thats what I thought but the last time I checked it all felt tight and I dont have any strange noise that I can tell.

Check toe-in first. You can do it yourself. Use two yardsticks or pieces of wooden trim that are pretty straight. Lay underneath and put your sticks together overlapping in the middle but in line holding both sticks with both hands. At the front of your wheel, touch the sticks into place and use the sticks like a feeler gage. Move back and forth until you make light contact at the smallest span. Using your hands to keep the length measurement with the sticks, slide back and put the stick up between the wheels at the back of the front tires. You should be able to measure a little bit of play with your "feeler gage sticks" back there. About 1/16 to 1/8 is good. If you can't get the stick in, you have toe out. Adjust with the tie rods if needed.

Whats your castor?

Check toe-in first. You can do it yourself. Use two yardsticks or pieces of wooden trim that are pretty straight. Lay underneath and put your sticks together overlapping in the middle but in line holding both sticks with both hands. At the front of your wheel, touch the sticks into place and use the sticks like a feeler gage. Move back and forth until you make light contact at the smallest span. Using your hands to keep the length measurement with the sticks, slide back and put the stick up between the wheels at the back of the front tires. You should be able to measure a little bit of play with your "feeler gage sticks" back there. About 1/16 to 1/8 is good. If you can't get the stick in, you have toe out. Adjust with the tie rods if needed.

Checked it the other day and I was within 1/8th"

It is the angle that your ball joints are at with the inner C. The best way to check this unfortunately would be to remove your ball joints and use a stick or allthread syspended in the centers of where th ball joints go. Then with an angle finder see what you have from vertical. IIRC 7 degrees is good. They make adjustable abll joints too so you can bring it back in after lifting. But If you have a stock axle and your arms set correctly then this should not be an issue. If you read up on axle mods then you will see it done where people are grinding the welds away on axles setting the pinion angle with a truss and then setting the castor angle for correct tire wear, to break it down.

Checked it the other day and I was within 1/8th"
Of what?

It is the angle that your ball joints are at with the inner C. The best way to check this unfortunately would be to remove your ball joints and use a stick or allthread syspended in the centers of where th ball joints go. Then with an angle finder see what you have from vertical. IIRC 7 degrees is good. They make adjustable abll joints too so you can bring it back in after lifting. But If you have a stock axle and your arms set correctly then this should not be an issue. If you read up on axle mods then you will see it done where people are grinding the welds away on axles setting the pinion angle with a truss and then setting the castor angle for correct tire wear, to break it down.
No need,either set the angle finder directly on the top balljoint OR you can do the pinion angle method.

Isn't camber what's in question here?
Castor definately can have an effect here!

Of what?

No need,either set the angle finder directly on the top balljoint OR you can do the pinion angle method.

Castor definately can have an effect here!

cannot remember but with about a 3-4' straight edge I was within 1/8" toe in/out. So it was 1/8" toed in or out I dont recall.

Back