• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine won't start

A7XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this in the AZ Chapter and thougt i would ask in the main forum. My 2001 XJ with the 4.0 is having starting issues. It has no problem turning over it just won't light up unless i push on the gas. I have replaced the Intake Air Control Valve (IACV) and it did nothing. If I get it started I can drive it with both feet just making sure I don't let off the gas. After about a minute of driving it seems to do fine except it idles somewhat low. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks.

They got cleaned 2 weeks ago and got sprayed with anti corrosion spray

thats a good idea. too bad i won't be able to do anything til monday.

A few "possible suspects" come to mind....removing them from the culprit list requires testing of each component/system. Test your way to a solution.

#1. Low available battery voltage. You can have enough battery voltage to start your 4.0 but be low enough to give the engine management system problems and create symptoms. Been there, done that. Load test your battery.

#2. Throttle position sensor. Test it, get a meter and a manual.

#3. Fuel pressure. Test it at the fuel rail three ways: key on and not running, just started, and also hot engine and compare your readings to factory spec.

Last edited:
did you clean where the iac seats in the throttle body? if not there is probably some grime still grabbing it and not letting it open.

This is definitely a symptom of the TPS. Check it with a voltmeter. Analog is preferred so that you can see smooth transition throughout the throttle travel, but you may have a dead spot at the closed position.

Back