• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frozen?

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have this problem with my Jeep. When its set below freezing overnight it wont start. I thought it was condensation in the tank so I ran the tank to well under an 1/8th tank and put a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in it and a bottle of Isoheat and then filled to tank to the top. Ive ran half that tank of gas out and now its done it again. I set at outside overnight the first time and did it so I changed the coil first and that didnt help it so I pushed it into the garage and let it set overnight where it was around 40* and it started right up. Now Im 100 miles from home at school and I have no warm place to put it and it wont start. What could it be?

Get your battery tested. A poor battery will crank the engine but not have enough go juice to fire it, ESPECIALLY when cold.

If the battery tests good, and has a full charge on it, then make sure that all of your grounds are cleaned and tight. Metal contracts when it is cold, so poor but adequate grounds become problems in when it is below freezing. Battery ground, ground at rear of head to firewall, grounds at the dipstick if you have them.

Remember--All Automotive Life Begins at the Battery!

Get an extra spark plug. When it won't start, pull the plug wire, put the plug in it and hold it to the block while someone cranks it over. You need a good blue spark. If you have the spark, it's probably a fuel issue. If you don't, it's probaly an ignition issue. Then you need a voltmeter to start chedking shit out. Don't just start changing parts like that coil. It's a waste of time and money and you can cause more problems than you will fix.

Tell us your year and type engine and you can get a lot more help.

At least yours will crank. As weird as this may sound, I think my neutral safety switch freezes. Sit outside all night=no crank/no start unless I moved the shifter from Park to Neutral. Inside the warm garage all night=starts right up every time.

Last edited:
MY 2000 SPORT FIRED UP AT -12 THE OTHER DAY. IT HESITATED SLIGHTLY AND I BARELY DEPRESSED THE GAS PEDAL AND OFF SHE WENT. i ODNT MAKE A HABIT OF THIS THO, I USUALLY KEEP IT PLUGGED IN BUT I WAS CURIOUS SINCE ITS ONLY NE W TO ME FOR 3 WEEKS.

Back