• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no power to right rear tail light?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

sounds like a simple problem...well it isn't.

the harness plug that goes to my right rear tail light is getting zero power in any of the holes

i know the tail light assembly works fine because i plugged it in on the left side, and it worked perfect. i tried following these wires, but didnt get too far.

is there a fuse which only controls that tail light, or is this a wiring problem. anybody know the route these wires take to the front?

thanks

Don't know for all years.

ESM 1990 shows the body wiring running from the left rear lamp assembly up, over, and down to the right lamp assembly.

is it a TAIL LIGHT or brake light?... i know my brake lights stopped working all together one day and i had to replace the brake light switch,... lol its ghetto BUT you could always piggy back the working light over to the light that doesnt =D, you know that jeeps are natorious for electrical problems right =)

follow the right rear harness all the way to the power source. check for power as you go. I dont kno bout a fuse for only the right rear lights but it doesnt hurt to check em all neway. Do all the lights not have power? or JUST the tail light

Even though the wiring harness hasnt changed too much over the years.... could you post what year XJ you have....
This information would make giving advise a little easier....
If yours is a 97+; I have the Factory Service Manual for the '98 and have wiring pin outs for 97 & 98.

There are two separate harness's on the XJ, you blew a fuse down on the passenger side kick panel that controls the passenger side. I just went thru this a couple of months ago when a trailer rental place blew mine from a messed up trailer harness on the trailer. It was either down on the kick panel or a blue fuse in the PDC, don't remember for sure as I had two problems a couple of weeks apart.

My experience is limited to 90 & earlier and they only have the harness run down the driver's side.

RichP, do you have the later model FSM for the body, or the PDC layout, handy?

Yup, on the 97+ they have a separate harness running down both sides as well as two fuses, one for each side. I would also pull your bulbs and look at the sockets, my sons TJ is blowing or was blowing fuses, he found two crudded up sockets on the fender marker lights. I think he cleaned them out today, the contact cleaner can is facing the opposite direction on the shelf as it was last nite when he asked me if we had any electric contact cleaner. I just walked in the house and the house aint talking....

Yup, on the 97+ they have a separate harness running down both sides as well as two fuses, one for each side. I would also pull your bulbs and look at the sockets, my sons TJ is blowing or was blowing fuses, he found two crudded up sockets on the fender marker lights. I think he cleaned them out today, the contact cleaner can is facing the opposite direction on the shelf as it was last nite when he asked me if we had any electric contact cleaner. I just walked in the house and the house aint talking....

wheres the fuse box on the driver side? i have a 2000 cherokee and i have a fuse box under the hood passenger side and a seperate fuse box on the passenger kick panel... im not aware of this 2nd fuse box...

You said yours is a 95. You said nothing is working. I would not be looking for a Fuse. I would be looking at Ground!!! A fuse would only be for running lights. One fuse would not run all the lights. But one ground would. I would check the ground.

wheres the fuse box on the driver side? i have a 2000 cherokee and i have a fuse box under the hood passenger side and a seperate fuse box on the passenger kick panel... im not aware of this 2nd fuse box...
There is only one fuse box, passenger side, I just don't remember which box those two fuses are in. One fuse is for the left and one for the right. On the pre 97's I am not that familiar with the fuse layout.
On my sons TJ last nite we had to replace the front driver side turn signal socket, it was crudded up and melted, kept blowing fuses and he lost both tail lights and instrument cluster lights till we fixed it.

According to the FSM for my '98; there are several fuses that can be checked.....

15A fuse # 22 in the PDC
15A fuse # 19 in the PDC
10A fuse #7 in the Junction Block (passenger kickpanel)
20A fuse # 11 in the Junction Block
10A fuse # 23 in the Junciton Block

All of these affect the rear tail lights (brakes, parking, flashers, turn signals) in one form or another....

based off what i see on that list i'd check fuse 7 and 23... if both are fine you will have either a grounding problem or a break in the wire, if their both factory, its both a possible problem

They said kick panel, so you should be close.

if i had a picture of the kick panel i'd send it to you, but theirs a little door you just pull off... but if you want better access, just remove the whole plastic piece by where your foot sits to the right... those dang jeep builders decided to hide it in there... did you check out the fuse diagram i posted for you? it shows a picture of what your looking for...

i haven't been able to check my jeep with that diagram yet..im at school, but ill be home next weekend to check it out.

also it seems most places say there are only 2 fuse boxes

ive got 1 under the hood, and 1 right above the pedals on the driver side. is there also 1 on the driver side, making 3 total, or did they put the one on the passenger side on the driver side on some models?

Back