• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Temperature Gauge

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has added a transfer case temperature gauge. I have found the one I installed for my transmission to be very informative. If you have, where did you mount the sensor?

just an educated guess that youd have to mount it right below the fill plug. youd need to make sure that the sensor doesnt come in contact with the chain or gears. thats all i got, keep me posted, this has me interested.

id either find an adapter to fit the sender in the drainplug hole, or drill and tap the drainplug for the sender to mount through it

why? are you that concerned about it over heating? transfer cases actually have the best fluid flow of most parts.

Two points I can readily agree with here -
1) D&T the drain plug to accept the sensor (or just have one machined from barstock, so you have enough "meat" to accept the sensor in the first place.)

2) The transfer case is probably one of the components that least needs temperature monitoring. There is a good deal of stress in the axles - in fact, I know that the Viper has an optional kit for axle cooling. Automatic transmissions? Good idea. Engine oil cooling? Can't really hurt, can it? Even the manual transmission (with the torque multiplication of the various gearsets) can benefit. But, the transfer case is usually either run in 1:1 with a light pump circulating the oil, or run in a low range (torque multiplication) at rather low speeds - which helps keep stresses down. And, the pump is still circulating the oil (inside the aluminum case - which also works as a cooler.)

Not trying to shoot down your idea - if you do it, note #1 above and report your findings (I'm always interested to learn new things!) but I honestly don't see a great need for it.

There is a good deal of stress in the axles

offtopic:

i run into that issue alot with 9" axles run at high speeds with big tires.

Back