• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help! Thinking motor or trans-mount.

XJOutsider

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4x4 96 Cheeroke 4.0l, AX15. It has about 189,000 Miles. I went to walmart. Started fine today drove down down to Walmart. About 1 mile form the store I was getting an odd Vibe form the dive train. This is not very uncommon for my Cherokee. since i put the budget boast on it. But that vibe happens for 60-64 miles then it stops. This vibe was happening at about 45miles. I was leaving and I could not get it into Reverse. I had to take the console out to get it into reverse it is like every thing had shifted to the right. The Cherokee made some funky clunking noise when it started but quickly idles to normal. I drove it home and It shifts fine. When I got home turned it off it kinda made a clunk noise. I would appreciate any help.

i have same jeep but with 103k.
broke 3 motor mounts and experienced same problems
finally went with M.O.R.E. motor mounts and have had no problems

open the hood and check fan alignment.
Then, look next to motor check mount.

Definetely sounds like motor mounts to get a large shifting like you describe, and the trans mount could be bad too.

I would check/replace them all.

Which brings up another question--what parts to use?

I have a Daystar polyurethane transmount somewhere in transit to me.

As for motor mounts, you could do OEM, which is cheapest way, or Polyurethane, which some say transmit a lot of vibrations to the unibody and isn't good for DD/occaisional 4x4, or go with after market rubber mounts.

I think I am going with the after market rubber mounts. I looked at Rusty's, and the fact they are rebuildable got me excited, but then I read in the forum's here that they are not welded very well. I then checked around, and really got excited when I found Brown Dog Offroad. Theirs are rebuildable, and if you buy rubber and then change your mind, well, you can just change them to poly or vice versa! So, I am going to go Brown Dog.

Back