• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 backfires

1980dg

NAXJA Forum User
i have seen this listed a lot of times but no one has a real fix my 99 backfires when i am driving around 2500 rpms it also idles real bad but only sometimes has anyone fixed this and sometimes when you stop at a stop sign it will die

things i have done
new parts
tps
crank sensor
air temp sensor
flushed radiator new temp sensor thermistate
sparkplugs thay were white running lean
new cat side o2 sensor
cleaned header side o2 sensor
cleaned idle sensor and the intake
seafoamed
cleaned all conections on everything
i checked for arking plugs in the dark

the codes i am getting are open injector curcuit 1 and 3 i have put a screwdriver up to my ear and the injecter and thay all hit the same even when it acts up

i am going to check fuel pressure monday does anyone know what that is supposed to be at i read it in here but cant find it again 50 lbs and then kill the motor and should only leek down to 30 lbs in 5 min is that right

this is my first post and my first offroad project i was raceing rc cars for years and went full size so forgive my if anything i have said sounds dumb

For 2000, it's 49.2 +/- 5 PSI. Try plugging and unplugging all of the connections you can see like the injector plugs, PCM plugs, etc. to cut through any old age tarnishing of the contacts.

sparkplugs thay were white running lean

The fact that your plugs show that you are running lean may be a big clue. Backfiring can definitely be indicative of a "lean" condition.

I would suggest some comprehensive VACUUM testing. Use a vacuum gauge; vacuum testing can tell a lot about how an engine is performing.

Common culprits would include intake manifold, throttle body, be sure to check all CCV plumbing while you're at it.

ok i will pull the injecters and swich them around also a vacuum test and a fuel pressure test thank you for input also i dont know how old the fuel filter is i got the jeep cheep becouse it backfired it was doing this when i got it

Don't forget to check the EGR. If a 99 has EGR.

Thanks for info on the EGR.

Do you mean with the switch in the RUN position you can remove the key?

your running to rich, which is why it is back firing. the unburnt fuel leaves through the exhaust and when it hits the cat ignites. The leaky injector could cause this

your running to rich, which is why it is back firing. the unburnt fuel leaves through the exhaust and when it hits the cat ignites. The leaky injector could cause this

First post says plugs were white. Sign of lean, right?

And no, key coming out won't cause your problem. If you continue with this lean backfiring you could burn an intake valve. You can do a compression check on that, but if it already had happened, you should have seen a difference in your spark plugs. You say they were white and didn't say that any plug looked different than the others.

Hopefully you'll find an intake leak.

Back