• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVAP - FAILED First, Passed Second

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I live in the wonderful smog NAZI state of CA. Anyway I got hit with the new EVAP test, it tests for micro leaks between your tank and your EVAP canister in your engine compartment. Needless to say even though my 93' XJ passed the sniffer test with flying colors, my tank could not hold the pressure of the nitrogen they pumped in. So I went ahead replaced all the rubber, new filler neck, new evap valves, rubber grommets and evap lines. Cost about $100 parts, gas and what not and about 4 hours of labor. The last thing I did right before I went to the smog shop was I filled the tank as full as I could. After searching on youtube there is a video exactly how the test is performed. From what I gathered from that, the less amount of empty volume in you tank the better.

So if your XJ is due for a check, I highly recommend the full tank idea and of course if you don't pass, it's no the end of the world, just about 4 hours of swearing.

hmmm Good thing I am in AK then, my m1028 would be a liablity if I brought it down there.

I live in the wonderful smog NAZI state of CA. Anyway I got hit with the new EVAP test, it tests for micro leaks between your tank and your EVAP canister in your engine compartment. Needless to say even though my 93' XJ passed the sniffer test with flying colors, my tank could not hold the pressure of the nitrogen they pumped in. So I went ahead replaced all the rubber, new filler neck, new evap valves, rubber grommets and evap lines. Cost about $100 parts, gas and what not and about 4 hours of labor. The last thing I did right before I went to the smog shop was I filled the tank as full as I could. After searching on youtube there is a video exactly how the test is performed. From what I gathered from that, the less amount of empty volume in you tank the better.

So if your XJ is due for a check, I highly recommend the full tank idea and of course if you don't pass, it's no the end of the world, just about 4 hours of swearing.

Yep. Had my '88 done last June. Fortunately it passed that test. I failed overall for a few other things that did not surprise me. Once I fixed the rest, it passed with rather low numbers.

Word from a Santa Cruz guy living in Oregon the past 24 years--grab the flag and turn off the lights as you leave!

X2 on leaving California. Born and raised there now I spend my time in other states with the same or better outdoors... minus all the F'd laws, traffic, and retarded people. I do visit from time to time so I can buy cool stuff cheaper

They tried tailpipe testing in Michigan, but dropped it years ago. It cost the state too much to monitor the system. And if you on welfare, you were exempt anyway. Now, half of us are out of work, so we're all (California & Michigan) gonna move to Texas.

Back