• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hmmm....???

MarioWario

NAXJA Forum User
i have almost half a full turn of freeplay in my steering wheel and a terrible death wobble...
i remember hearing in school you can tighten up the freeplay if you had a steering box somthing to do with the sector shaft...
i did everything to try and fix the death wobble and no luck....
would tighting up my steering help with my death wobble???

Did this free play happen all of a sudden or over a period of time?

Your not likely to help much of anything messing with the center over adjustment in your steering box. If tightened too tight, it can actually freeze up your steering and can cause a wreck and actually isn't the proper method for adjusting sector shaft play anyway.
Half a turn is likely a combination of multiple steering joints loose. I'd look at the trac bar first and work from there. The first place I check when my steering wheel isn't centered.
A whole lot of places in the steering linkages to pick up some play, the best approach is to fix the worst spots first.
A whole lot of info in search.
GoJeep.com has a write up on a home test for alignment, a quick check.

Your not likely to help much of anything messing with the center over adjustment in your steering box. If tightened too tight, it can actually freeze up your steering and can cause a wreck and actually isn't the proper method for adjusting sector shaft play anyway.
Half a turn is likely a combination of multiple steering joints loose. I'd look at the trac bar first and work from there. The first place I check when my steering wheel isn't centered.
A whole lot of places in the steering linkages to pick up some play, the best approach is to fix the worst spots first.
A whole lot of info in search.
GoJeep.com has a write up on a home test for alignment, a quick check.

X2

You have to lay underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth to see where the free play is. Tie rod ends go first and can strand you the easiest. Look at each joint thruout the steering linkage as the wheel is being turned back and forth. Then look for movement in the track bar ends. This is best done with the tires on the ground or on ramps.

You have to lay underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth to see where the free play is. Tie rod ends go first and can strand you the easiest. Look at each joint thruout the steering linkage as the wheel is being turned back and forth. Then look for movement in the track bar ends. This is best done with the tires on the ground or on ramps.

Engine running or off? This has always confused me... :dunce: Both ways maybe?

if your jeep is an 86 like your profile states, i would suggest the gear box is worn. i just put one in a zj the other day for death wobble and it only had about 1/4 turn of free play. if tie rods were worn you would hear some major clunking when turning as well to get that much play.

Back