• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ SYE question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
How many of you guys are running a lift smaller than a 4.5 on a 97+ NP231. The reason i ask is that i have heard that some people have needed to run a SYE on lifts smaller than a 4.5(which i hear is when most recommend a SYE) on 97+ models

Any help is appreciated. I have a line on another T-case for cheap. I can always rebuild that and put a SYE on it if need be! :D

Lift it, use a t-case drop, if you get a drive line vibration then and only then should you get a SYE. I hate how people, this board epically, forces SYEs down peoples throats! With a 4.5" lift id almost guarantee you that you can get away with just a small t-case drop.
My 99 XJ was at 6.5" with a t case drop and shims and no drive line vibrations, my buddies 98 XJ is at 8" no sye, no t case drop, just corrected his pinion angle, and he has no drive line vibrations under 80 mph! Yes there are cases of people putting on a 3” lift and getting vibrations, but odds are there was a different underlying problem they had before (shot CV, bad u joints, out of balance, bad pinion angle, etc…).

Lift it, use a t-case drop, if you get a drive line vibration then and only then should you get a SYE. I hate how people, this board epically, forces SYEs down peoples throats! With a 4.5" lift id almost guarantee you that you can get away with just a small t-case drop.
My 99 XJ was at 6.5" with a t case drop and shims and no drive line vibrations, my buddies 98 XJ is at 8" no sye, no t case drop, just corrected his pinion angle, and he has no drive line vibrations under 80 mph! Yes there are cases of people putting on a 3” lift and getting vibrations, but odds are there was a different underlying problem they had before (shot CV, bad u joints, out of balance, bad pinion angle, etc…).

Thanks man! You have a good point about worn out parts. When i first put my AAL's on the back for my BB It had a small amount of vibe but now it has none. I am paying my Jeep off right before WF so by this summer(barring any unforeseen bad layoff news) My jeep should be sitting on 31's with either a RE super ride or something similar and maybe some 4.10's and lockers if i get some friggin overtime! :D

I like the Idea of a SYE but the cost of some of the kits is way up there and with the economy the way it is i can't afford one. I think most of the good kits out there come with a t-case drop anyways(or i can make one)!

Sye kits aren't just about vibes!Plus you pay good money for a lift and then you want to lower a part that is already the most likely place your going to get hung up on.

I got an SYE on my 3" lift. Remember, when you drop the transfer down, you are putting more rotational forces on your motor mounts, which will likely cause them to wear out quicker. Also as mentioned above, why do a lift to only lose clearence?

I got an SYE on my 3" lift. Remember, when you drop the transfer down, you are putting more rotational forces on your motor mounts, which will likely cause them to wear out quicker. Also as mentioned above, why do a lift to only lose clearence?
It also makes the front output shaft angles worse.

Sye kits aren't just about vibes!Plus you pay good money for a lift and then you want to lower a part that is already the most likely place your going to get hung up on.

Thats OK with me i'm not into hardcore trails. I like running easy trails since for the time being its my DD. I"m lifting it 3.5 inches and lowering it what, an inch. That gives me 2.5 more inches of clearance. I know a SYE is the absolute right way to go but its an expense i am trying to avoid for now.

I appreciate the input either way. I'm just trying to weigh my options is all!

I did my t-case drop with 4.5" lift and it was fine. I went up 2" and it vibed a little bit. When I did the t-case drop I stripped out a nutsert and had to fish a nut through the frame. I have yet to fix the nut and even though I'm running a hack n tap I still have the t-case drop. I have done many different things on my xj in the past two or so years and I can tell you that the hack n tap with the stock front shaft is right up there with my FOA's and my custom spring hangers as far as satisfaction. With the t-case drop I get about a year per motor mount.

I would say do the t-case drop and if that does'nt work do the hack n tap. The HnT really is cheap for what it does plus for $100 or so you can have a full spare rear shaft.

I have 4.5 on a 98 no sye as of right now. Ran it like that for over 2.5 years only killed my motor mounts. That being said I have an SYE kit but its to fing cold to do anything so it can wait.

well i am getting another t-case at WF so i think i am just gonna rebuild it and get the iron rock HnT for it or a JB conversions SYE and swap it out.

Which JB conversions SYE is better for the XJ The regular or super short?

Last edited:
the super short will give you a slightly longer driveshaft, which is preferrable.

100 more for 3 1/8 inches! I think with a re 3.5 a regular SYE should be fine

Back