• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 rebuild with SYE

Andy Brian

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to order an Advanced adaptors SYE with Tom Woods DS. My 1999 XJ has about 180,000 miles on it. Should I go ahead and do a rebuild with new chain from JB conversions while I am working on it?

have you looked at the JB SYE kit? cheaper than AA

LOTS of problems and complaints regarding PORC....check the Pirate4x4 bad seller thread. Tons of threads on just them.

With 180k on the Ometer I'd spring the $90 bucks for a new chain considering the work involved in taking it apart.

id go with a PORC sye. ive installed 3-4 of them with no problems. theyre the cheapest one out there, and ive been beating on mine/along with all my friends for years now and absolutely zero problems out of it.

and with 180k on the clock id go ahead and throw a new chain in there. not necessarily a JB conversions one as i dont know how much they cost, but a nice OEM equivalent from napa would be good

:dunno:....it wasn't the product that had a problem it was weather you GOT the product or not that's seems to be the problem.

But...I'm sure not everyone had a beef with them....

PORC is made in Taiwan. Nuff said. AA can be bought as a kit along with Tom Wood drive shaft. I know it is all a little more expensive but I always live by the motto that "If you are going to do something, you might as well do it right". No regrets that way.
I like the NAPA suggestion, but with JB I feel confident that I am going to get all the right parts.
Maybe I am just convincing myself here with what I know I should do.

PORC is made in Taiwan. Nuff said. AA can be bought as a kit along with Tom Wood drive shaft. I know it is all a little more expensive but I always live by the motto that "If you are going to do something, you might as well do it right". No regrets that way.
I like the NAPA suggestion, but with JB I feel confident that I am going to get all the right parts.
Maybe I am just convincing myself here with what I know I should do.

No,your correct,JB's is also an American product,think about where your money goes!

Have you looked into the PORC SYE kit? Cheaper than both.
for only $30 more, JB FTW. IMHO, easier than a hack-n-tap. you get a brand new HD outputshaft too. somewhere on their site the compare side by side cutaways of their kit and the AA kit, although it is not called out by name. this sold me on JB, and after receiving it and installing it, it is all i will ever install again

Back