• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25, 29 spline with lockright, 35" tires

Stock shafts should be fine unless you're running King Of The Hammers or are a total mouth-breathing throttle-tard.

There are no chromoly 8.25 shafts.

There are however alloy 1541h shafts, and they are more or less manditory if you plan in leaving the pavement with 35's (for most drivers at least).

A couple of the locals have run 35's on their 8.25's (myself included). I think for the most part, we've all gotten tired of braking shafts and gone to d44's.

8.25 shafts neck down pretty small before the splines. I was going to run a 8.25 til I saw them. Now I've got a D44 I'm going to run.

i ran 35's for a while, open, with stock shafts. never had a problem. when i added my no-slip, i also got alloy shafts cause i got an awesome package deal ($250 for a locker and shafts to my door). like cal mentioned, there not chromoly there 1541h alloy. not as strong as chromoly, but deffienently stronger then stock. biggest difference over a stock shaft is they have a thicker mounting flange and are non-neck down shafts. Ive beaten them hard and have had no problems and im not worried about it one bit, i know my d30 will break first.

never really got a good look at 8.25 shafts, but i think i remember yukon making some kind of shaft for them

anyways 8.25 IMO are pretty stout rears. i ran it on 35s locked and never had any problems with it along with a few of my other friends.

I swapped out my 29 for a 27 with Yukon shafts, Yukon R&P and Lockright locker. Running 35 13.50 Krawlers and so far so good..

I gotta 29 spline 8.25, locked, 4.56s, turning 35s, w/ stock shafts and I beat the shit out of it. Its only broke once and it was in some rather large under cut rocks and my foot was on the gas.
1209072057.jpg

1027071330.jpg

I trust my 8.25 a lot more than I trust that 30. + spare stock shafts are cheap and you only have to carry one.

you'll be fine. I'm running 33x12.5's on 29 spline 8.25, lincoln locked, no issues at all.

Again, though, if you're a throttle masher and like to play in the rocks with lots of throttle, you're prob. pushing it.

Like the others said you should be fine. I ran a 27 spline 8.25 for a year with no problems and now my brother is running it with 34" swampers with no problems.

That's exactly what I have right now, and I tow a 15 foot travel trailer through the mountains in the summer with no issues. As long as you stay in control when going through heavy stuff like rocks or big stumps, you should eb fine. It's still a good idea to bring along a couple of spare shafts...

Phil :canada:

I've seen a D44 on 33's snap shafts on the same trail(in JV) my 8.25 on 35's didn't, nor ever actually. I have the Alloy USA shafts with a 4:1 and manual trans, a combo supposedly tougher on the drivetrain.
I'd agree with the D30 comment above, if you're worried about the 8.25 and not the D30, your priorities are backwards. What was Okie Terry's record? Ten broken D30 shafts per one broken 8.25? IIRC.

Last edited:
Back